Senior Marleigh Silvernale to attend Ivy League institution

Sam Imber, Staff Writer

It’s that time of the year again! As the new month begins, seniors will finally receive their long anticipated acceptance letters, and start the exciting process of deciding which school they will be attending in the fall. But, for some seniors, they have already known where they’ll be spending the next four years of their life. Senior Marleigh Silvernale has committed to the University of Pennsylvania’s School of Nursing after being accepted through early decision back in November.

Founded in 1740, the University of Pennsylvania, or UPenn, is a private university located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. As a primarily residential school, it houses around 10,400 undergraduate students, with about 4,700 faculty. UPenn is made up of 12 schools, including the Perelman School of Medicine, The Wharton School, the Annenberg School for Communication, and of course, The School of Nursing. These schools include some of the top rated programs in the world, making the college one of the prestigious universities to attend!

As an Ivy League institution, UPenn is one of the most competitive universities in the country! With an overall acceptance rate of 12.1%, Silvernale was among the few selected to be  honored with an offer of admission to UPenn.

“The campus was absolutely stunning,” said Silvernale, when explaining why she fell in love with the university. “The architecture was amazing. It’s in the middle of the city [of Philadelphia], but its own little place at the same time.”

Silvernale has been very involved in many of SHS’s clubs, such as National Honors Society, SADD, Key Club, and Chess Club. But her more frequent activities involved outside volunteering at the local hospital and Girls on the Run. She attributes much of her college preparedness to the many science courses she was able to take, such as AP Biology, Honors Anatomy and Physiology, and Honors Chemistry.

For many seniors, the application process was especially grueling and exhausting. But Silvernale said the process for her was rather easy, but very in-depth with the information they required. For the upcoming senior class, she recommends doing some research before beginning the long process of applying to college.

“They definitely look for a strong science background,” said Silvernale when addressing some of the things that helped her get accepted to UPenn’s School of Nursing. “There are lots of online resources that helped me get my application together for this school.”

Silvernale plans on going through nursing school with a focus on psychology/psychiatric nursing. She plans on becoming a psychiatric nurse to help those with mental disorders.

“I’m excited to learn something useful, something that I’m passionate about,” said Silvernale. “I can’t wait to fully immerse myself in my studies this fall!”

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Senior Marleigh Silvernale to attend Ivy League institution”

1. Alefiyah on May 2nd, 2017 10:40 AM

I think it is great that we have the resources at stroudsburg for students to attend top teir schools such as Boston University, Lehigh University, some for Ivy league schools, etc.. I am really grateful for the education I have here.

[Reply]

2. Zaritza on May 2nd, 2017 10:43 AM

Ivy leagues schools are great and it’s very impressive that Marleigh Silvernale was accepted.

[Reply]

3. Taylor Miller on May 2nd, 2017 10:46 AM

It is great to see students from our very own school doing well and going off to college at some prestigious universities. I’m very proud of all the seniors and their achievements.

[Reply]

4. Leiyla O'Dowd on May 2nd, 2017 12:13 PM

This has made me soooo happy!! Marleigh is a great gril! I love her and im so happy that she was accepted into such a prestigious school!! Im so excited for her wohhh hoooo! HEARS TO YOU MARLEIGH!!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Senior Marleigh Silvernale to attend Ivy League institution

News

College Day coming to SHS on June 2

News

Drama class to perform for SHS students on Monday, June 5

News

Common Threads clothing store opens at SHS

News

Track athletes sign with colleges Friday!

News

Students gain access to thousands of books through Overdrive

News

SHS students travel with Project Success to the Capitol in Harrisburg — at no cost

News

Senior Karon Cox to perform at Sherman Theater

News

SHS teacher runs for seat on the Stroudsburg Borough Council

News

Son of Holocaust survivors visits SHS

News

SHS librarian shares novel with students in the Bronx