SHS cross country has an outstanding season, girls repeat history (Check out the Photo Gallery of season below)

Jonathan Valderrama, Staff Writer

For two consecutive years the girls cross country team embarked on a historical accomplishment, qualifying as a team to compete in the state competition at Hershey. The team planned to come with aggression prior to placing first at the district meet.

ai???Weai??i??ve been training since June and progressively weai??i??ve built up from thereai??? said senior captain Michelle Joyce. ai???It was a great accomplishment and a memorable way to end off the season.ai???

The team consisted of seniors Allana Powlette, Michelle Joyce, Lauren Bruckstein, and Jaida Fenn, sophomores Amy Conboy and Taylor Garrett, and freshman Jayden Paradis. The team competed in the AAA girls race finishing an impressive 9th place overall. Amy Conboy’s finishing with a time of 18:56, Allana Powlette 19:03, and Michelle Joyce 19:34 finished in the top 100 at the meet. Ai??Conboy was the first sophomore to cross the finish line.

In addition to the girls’ team, senior Teddy Mostellar, junior Matt Bodon and sophomore Zachary Landvik-Larsen individually qualified for states as well. This would be both Mostellar and Bodonai??i??s second consecutive year returning to compete at states as well. Both boys finished in the top 100, something that has not been done by a Stroudsburg Ai??male runner at states since 2001.

ai???It was fun going backai??? said Bodon. “We ran the course last year so we knew what to expect, coming back more experienced, stronger and smarter.ai???

Mostellar feels satisfied with the results and though this is his last year, he sees more success from the team for years to come.

“I love to see how we went from just winning the MVC title to now beating a majority of the MVC and old LVC schools at districts and even qualify our team to states,” commented Mostellar. If the team can hold together and more people step up as leaders, there’s no telling what this team is capable of accomplishing.”

Below are the teamai??i??s results at states.

AAA girls: 9th overall:

15 Amy Conboy, So 18:56

20 Allana Powlette, Sr 19:03

33 Michelle Joyce, Sr 19:34

143 Taylor Garrett, So 20:58 Ai??

177 Lauren Bruckstein, Sr 21:42

181 Jaida Fenn, Sr 21:49

205 Jayden Paradis, Fr 23:46

AAA boys:

92 Matt Bodon, Jr 17:14

93 Teddy Mosteller, Sr 17:14

121 Zachary Landvik-Larsen, Soph 17:26