Student Government plays big role in school activities

HaJa Jalloh, Staff Writer

Student Government has been making a difference at SHS Ai??for many years.

The adviser is Mr. Andrew Kurnas. EachAi??position has a Ai??different role and expectation, but they work as a team to complete the important events and activities.

The officers of student government are President Michelle Joyce,Ai??Vice-President Amber Quinn,Ai??Secretary Teddy Mostellar,Ai??Treasurer Chris Vo and,Ai??Junior Vice-President Kelsey DeSchriver.Ai??

Student government includes class officers of the senior, junior, and sophomore classes along with student representatives. The student representatives are elected from the student body and have

Meetings for Student GovernmentAi??are held in the high school auditorium. They usually meet in school orAi??meet depending on how everyoneai??i??s schedules work throughout the periods. During these meetings, while SHS students are working in class, Student Government discuss ways to make the high school better and better.

Student Government organizes a variety of events: homecoming, school spirit weeks, pep assemblies, school dances, knocker ball, elections for the following year, the activities fair, Mini-THON, and much more.

This club also organizes recycling and fundraising for the community. At the end of every school year, student government gives out ai???The Silent Service Awards.ai??? Ai??This award goes toAi??a student who has been very helpful, but has not been appropriately recognized throughout the school.

ai???Thereai??i??s always a student who helps out, but never really gets noticed, so thatai??i??s why we give away this award,” said Kurnas.

Any student who would like to join the student governmentAi??has to go through an application process and run in the election that is held in May.

For more information on student government,Ai??e-mail Mr. Kurnas at [email protected]., or stop by Room C 207.