Seniors struggle to juggle school, work, sports, activities, and more

Emily Garbarino, Staff Writer

Do you ever find yourself stressed beyond belief, not really knowing how to manage your time to get things done better and quicker while juggling a job and school?

Many students in Stroudsburg High School feel this way as well. Nearly 80% of high school students work at least a part-time job during the school year to either pay for gas money and/or to save money for college.

For example, senior Hailey Winham is pursuing a marine biology major with a full ride to Kutztown University. Winham has completed the rigorous college search, yet she still works and participates in extra-curricular activities at SHS.

Winham explains how she balances everything. “I do have my schedule open at work for every day of the week,” Winham said. “I asked to start work at or after 4:00, so I have time to do clubs and hopefully get some homework done before work starts. I usually stay at work anywhere from 8:00 to 11 o’clock, and make sure I get to sleep at a reasonable time.”

But what about making time to apply for colleges and scholarships if you haven’t been accepted already?

“I hate wasting my day, so I wake up really early get things done that need to be done,” said senior Natalie Jean.” At the end of the day (and once I’ve completed everything I need to do), the only thing left to do is my college applications. So it helps me focus better.”

How did they keep track of all the deadlines for scholarships and applications?

Another idea is keeping a daily planner to keep track of everything. As studies show, teens who keep some kind of written schedule are more likely to reach their goals. Teens who keep separate schedules for each of their responsibilities (school, sports, social life, work, etc.) reach even more of their goals. Many students utilize planners for setting and reaching goals.

“I keep goals in my planner for applications deadlines such as a big deadline coming up on January 15,” said senior Bailey McMahon.

Using a planner to make deadlines and to complete requirements has proven successful. For example, a Harvard Business study found that the 14 percent of students who have goals are 10 times more successful than those without goals. The three percent with written goals are three times more successful than the 14 percent with unwritten goals.

To reach all those daunting deadlines, students must make sure to tell employers the times they are available so they can work around the schedule. Work can get in the way of completing applications before the deadlines, so make sure to put work on the back burner in order to focus on applications. Finally, those imminent deadlines might seem a little less formidable by setting goals. Whether the goals are small or big, a sense of achievement goes a long way.

Link to helpful time management tips:
https://www.thebalance.com/time-management-tips-2947336
Link to helpful time management apps:
https://www.lifehack.org/articles/technology/top-15-time-management-apps-and-tools.html

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Seniors struggle to juggle school, work, sports, activities, and more”

1. Anthony A. on March 29th, 2018 8:50 AM

That is really true it is hard to balance time during your 12th grade year. for many people it is just hard to stay with a high enough g.p.a to pass school. Also to the writer of this articel you did a great job.

2. Jacob Levy on March 29th, 2018 8:51 AM

This is a factoo.

3. meenah hunter on March 29th, 2018 1:30 PM

juggling everything and still finding time to get a substantial rest is extremely difficult, on top of the fact that having to worry about each thing is exceptionally stressful. Not everyone can juggle all these things so they fall off in various aspects of life or work or home life.

4. Ty S. on March 29th, 2018 1:31 PM

You’re definitely right. Work, school, homework, gym, and other after school activities is a lot to juggle. Not only is it a lot to juggle my personal motivation for high school is close to none. I want it to end and want college to start already. good work on your article

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Seniors struggle to juggle school, work, sports, activities, and more

Features

American and European schools differ in many ways

Entertainment

The annual Greek festival has arrived!

Features

Sports comebacks in SHS

Entertainment

Nearby Columcille Megalith Park provides tranquil atmosphere to visitors

Features

Entertaining activities to enjoy around the Poconos

Features

A close-up look at President Trump’s education plan

Features

Winter weather heavily impacts PA roads and vehicles

Features

The weather can directly affect one’s mood and attitude

Features

Has Disney gotten better or worse over time?

Features

Learning about the life of an ESU student