SHS student fundraising for Leukemia & Lymphoma Society

Photograph by Elisa-Marie

Aubree Voth is helping at the LLS (Leukemia Lymphoma Society) kick off.

Elisa-Marie Rivera, Staff Writer

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society is a 501 charitable organization founded in 1949. It is the world’s largest health organization dedicated to fighting blood cancer. The LLS’s (Leukemia & Lymphoma Society) mission is to cure blood cancer, lymphoma, Hodgkin’s disease and myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families.

Recently, Stroudsburg High and Stroudsburg Junior High held a dress down for two dollars to wear red tops to raise and collect money to donate to LLS. The general over all topic was for “Students of the Year” a philanthropic leadership campaign in which students across the state compete in it to raise as much money as they can within a time span of seven weeks.

The money we raised from the dress down was a little over $1400,” said junior Aubree Voth, a “Students of the Year” candidate. Voth is responsible for organizing this fundraiser. This includes both Stroudsburg Junior High and high school.”

Voth discussed her overall goal: “I’m not allowed to disclose the goal of my team because it is a secretive campaign, but my personal goal is to raise $10,000,” she said. Voth was also excited to share that the president of FBLA, Hirali Patell, as well as the rest of FBLA, are part of her fundraising team.

The purpose of the dress down was to raise funds for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Voth was inspired by her mother because when her mom was in college she was a nursing major and worked with children with cancer.  Many times, these children had leukemia and lymphoma.

Voth’s mother has always talked about how difficult the treatments are for the patients and their families.

“Fundraising for LLS is my way of helping to improve treatments and survival rates for those impacted by cancer,” Voth said. “I wanted to help so kids and families didn’t have to go through that kind of thing. I have had the opportunity to meet some amazing local survivors, including very young kids and teens as a part of this project, so now it’s definitely personal.”

Down below is the fundraising link for more donations. If you would like to help out the LLS society, you can make a donation before March 16, when the campaign ends. 

https://events.lls.org/epa/lvsoy19/sfblap