Student Spotlight On Matthew Kasperek

Tyler Stone, Staff Writer

What motivates you to come to school?

Fear of my mom.

What are your plans after graduation?

I want to become a neurologist, so my plan as of now is to go to ESU as an undergraduate to knock out the prerequisites for a medical school application, then transfer to a yet undetermined college or university (probably UPenn or a school of similar degree) that would better prepare me for the MCAT, and get a degree in biochemistry. Then I would apply to med schools, with the main one on my mind being the Perelman School of Medicine.

What is your life motto?

No matter how bad a situation is, it could always be worse.

What is the greatest experience you have ever had?

Working as a lifeguard last summer. It was a totally new experience for me, as I had never done anything like this before. Being a lifeguard was fun, in both the actual job and the people I worked with. I learned how to tolerate and deal with people who do not listen to me, and how to better interact with people socially. I had made a few saves while I was on stand, and to be honest they were stressful for me. They had all been serious saves, and one wrong move on my part might have meant the drowned could have been seriously injured, or worse. I also enjoyed the other lifeguards and staff that worked with me, as things were never boring when someone was causing some sort of drama. Looking at you, Pool Girl #4.

What is your favorite thing about SHS?

That there is always something going on.

What was your favorite class at SHS?

Easily Anatomy and Physiology. As I previously mentioned, I plan on going into medicine, due to how the human body fascinates me, and the gears that make it tick. I found the class to be challenging and I didn’t receive grades that I wanted, but grades that I earned. I learned new study habits and the class only deepened my hunger for more knowledge in medicine. I am disappointed that there is no class that continues off where Anatomy and Physiology ends, as we did not cover everything, but the class gave me a very good understanding of what to expect in the future.

What movie can you watch over and over without ever getting tired of?

V for Vendetta. It is a movie about England in a dark dystopian setting where a monarchy of a government rules over it, with an unnamed man name V who wears a Guy Fawkes mask destroys the government from the top down. The reason I like it so much is because the mask that V wears doesn’t just represent him or a cool thing to wear; it represents everyone who cannot represent themselves, along with being a strong symbol for anonymity, which I highly support. There is also a great deal of symbolism in the movie which I find interesting to discover and analyze.

If there is one thing you could change in the world, what would it be?

The outrageous cost of education post-high school. The fact that textbooks can cost up to thousands of dollars in total per SEMESTER is absurd, not including the high cost of classes or housing, especially when literally almost every other country has dealt with this issue, cutting education price tags down to little to no cost.

Is water wet?

Don’t worry about it.