Student Government plans Homecoming activities!

The nominees and floats will be featured in the annual parade

Luka Konklin

Sophomores Amie Garcia and William Awuah advocate for Student Government at the activities fair

Luka Konklin, Staff Writer

Student Government is a group of elected students who are responsible for a multitude of important tasks within the high school. 

This unique organization helps with pep rallies, dances, senior picnics, dress-downs, and more.

“We serve as a sort of, bank for the clubs in our school,” said vice president Benjamin Domanski, a junior. “We decide what clubs get money and how much they receive.”

Currently, Student Government is working on the Homecoming activities such as the Homecoming dance, the Homecoming pep rally, and the Homecoming parade.

The Homecoming dance will be held at SHS on October 15, from 7:00 -10:00 p.m.  It is open to anyone in grades 9-12.

There will also be a parade starting in Courthouse Square at 5:00 p.m. on October 21.  The Homecoming nominees and the class floats will be featured.  The parade will march to SHS, where each class float will perform a skit.

The Homecoming football game will follow at 7:00 pm.

“We are essentially the school party planners”, said junior Rebecca Chowdhury, who is a member of the group.

Sophomore Amie Garcia explained why she likes to be a part of Student Government.

“It gives me the opportunity to have a say in what happens in the school,” Garcia said.

Domanski shared similar sentiments: “I’ve assisted in planning many dances and activities since 6th grade, and it is very enjoyable to see how functions like this are thought of and run,” he said.

To join, make sure to run for Student Government in the spring!

Here are the 2022 -2023 Student Government Officers:

President- Jessica Brady (12)

Vice President- Jamison Scelza (12)

Secretary- Elizabeth Lee (12)

Treasurer- Ethan Flanagan (12)

Junior Vice President- Benjamin Domanski (11)