Students experience the outdoors in unique SHS class

Jayden Paradis, Staff Writer

Pennsylvania is home to many natural treasures, including state parks, forests, game lands, national recreation areas, and wildlife refuges. Various communities, such as bogs, forests, streams, and lakes can be explored as well as the wildlife species, their history, and importance.

Fortunately for SHS students there is a course that covers all of the above: Pennsylvania’s Wild Natural Resources.  This course is designed to give students an introduction to the world of nature in the Keystone State.

This class is taught by biology teacher Mr. James DeRenzis, who is located in Room G-208. It is open to juniors and seniors.

“I want to be a biologist and this helps me learn about nature,” said junior Megan Filipkowski.

Through this class, students learn that there are different kinds of jobs available to them, according to DeRenzis. One graduate is actually working in a fishery in Alaska.

DeRenzis enjoys teaching this class because it’s a hands-on class where students get outside for field experiences. One hands-on project includes learning about Shad fish, a species going extinct. Students actually end up releasing them into the Delaware River.

Also, there are several guest speakers scheduled throughout the year.  For example, DeRenzis has invited in PA Game Commission officers.

Students interested in enrolling in this class next year should contact Mr. DeRenzis in G-208.

6 Comments

6 Responses to “Students experience the outdoors in unique SHS class”

1. jhon on November 16th, 2017 4:27 AM

Hello Admin,

It is very nice that your blog is providing information regarding the program. I want to aware you Best Public Health Schools. We have compiled a list of Best Public Health Schools to your help. There are best Public Health Schools are available which provides the best education or activities for student’s career. If you want to get this list then click this link…

For more information you can go through –
    https://www.developingcareer.com/best-public-health-schools/

You can also join our Facebook page for the updates. The link
    https://www.facebook.com/DevelopingCareer/

[Reply]

2. Daisha on November 17th, 2017 8:10 AM

I think that it is a great idea that students in Stroudsburg get the chance to go outside and study what is going on around them. No matter if you love the outdoors or if you are interested in science, you can learn the things that they teach you but you’re there in person. You’re outdoors learning and looking at stuff in real life that is in front of you than rather on a computer screen.

[Reply]

3. Melissa Drummond on November 17th, 2017 8:11 AM

A club that can finally explore the wonders of nature, biology and science. I’ve always loved nature. I live near a forest and now I can express my love of the woods and animals with other SHS students. Finally, a club that I can express my unique self in.

[Reply]

4. Caitlin Bjerklie on November 17th, 2017 8:11 AM

I’m in this class and was on this trip and it was amazing to be on. We learned so much about how much it takes to restore land. The land we were at was originally the Cherry Valley golf course. The Nature Conservancy bought this land when the golf course began to go under, it was a process 10 years in the making I believe. But it was worth it to get all these new and returning animals.

[Reply]

5. Diane Martinez on November 28th, 2017 7:36 AM

I think that this class is fantastic to let the students learn more about nature and animals. I wish that I took this class because I love to learn about nature and the specific names of plants or the seeds of the plants. I believe this class should bring many more interests to come as the years go by for every student who want to learn more about the environment. If I were you, take this class because it is worth the learning about the environment.

[Reply]

6. Samuel McGibbon on November 28th, 2017 7:39 AM

I think that a class that takes place outdoors is a great idea. To be held in a seat within a classroom everyday can get tedious and leaves students less focused on class. To have a class where you can go outside and learn more about nature in a hand-on experience is a great way to learn and is different than the regular regiment of the school day. There’s a lot you can learn from nature as soon as you step outside and to have a teacher to show you these things in person is a great way to learn. I think that especially since as a generation we don’t really go outside as often so even to go outside for class is a great way to get outdoors and get some fresh air.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Students experience the outdoors in unique SHS class

Features

Varsity, JV and freshman basketball teams defeat Nazareth!

News

Students express themselves on Class Quilts

Clubs & Activities

Students choose to add DRAMA classes to their lives

News

BREAKING NEWS: The boys’ bathroom doors are gone!

News

Poetry Out Loud competition starts in November

News

SHS athletic trainer nominated for the prestigious Newell Award

News

Common Threads: SHS’s dollar store filled with clothing

News

New family bike park opens along River Road

News

Common Grounds coffee shop heats up for the 2017-18 school year

News

The “Haunted Woods” is back; get involved today