SHS holds incredible what’s your 17? assembly for students

March 16, 2018

Group of students get together wearing their #whatsyour17 t-shirts.

This past Wednesday, Stroudsburg High School held an incredible event to remember the lives lost in the Parkland shooting. For $5 dollars, students could purchase a #whatsyour17 t-shirt and were able to dress down.

The money raised was donated to the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, which is the high school where the recent shooting took place.

The meaning of #whatsyour17 is that instead of separating ourselves from other students and walking out, we should stand together and unite as a school. The assembly between 3rd and 4th period began with a moment of silence to mourn the victims of the Stoneman Douglas shooting.

Students working together to get out of the human knot, one of the games played.

Students were then able to participate in several events that included teamwork, friendliness, and overall positivity.

Towards the end of the assembly the students gathered outside along with the Stroudsburg Fire Department to release 17 balloons, one for each victim. While all the students returned inside, ai???This Is My Fight Songai??? played and the students who purchased t-shirts all got together to take a group photo.

See photo gallery above!

View Comments (5)

Mountaineer • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

• S

Samantha SchradeMar 29, 2018 at 1:22 PM

I believe this was an amazing effort from the school and students that we all came together to mourn the death of these students that lost their life and also bring awareness for school shootings. Also I believe it was good for students to choose to participate or not so you didnt have to participate if you didn’t want to.

Reply
  • J

Justin LightfootMar 29, 2018 at 9:33 AM

I fully understand that it was a chose to participate in this movement but I’m glad to have been apart of event. The meaning behind this movement effect me and my peers greatly and we together can spread awareness of the cause.

Reply
  • J

JaelenMar 29, 2018 at 9:20 AM

This is great knowing that everyone came together to mourn the deaths of the lost students. This needs to happen at schools all around, doing this could possibly get the message across to make gun restrictions so this kind of stuff doesn’t happen anymore.

Reply
  • T

TrevorMar 29, 2018 at 8:44 AM

It was a good event that we did and it was event that others took real serious about the school shootings in our country

Reply
  • T

Tina ShipmanMar 19, 2018 at 9:46 AM

We plan to do something similar on April 17. We are a small rural school, but we are going to involve the community as best as we can. Thanks for your inspiration!

Reply
5