Girls on the Run promotes healthy lifestyles for girls

Jayden Paradis, Staff Writer

Two times a week, girls from 3rd through 8th grade assemble to promote a joyful, healthy and confident lifestyle.  They follow a fun, experience-based running program known as Girls on the Run.  

The Girls on the Run program was established in 1996 in Charlotte, North Carolina. In 2000, the organization expanded across the world, becoming known as Girls on the Run International.

Now, it has grown to over 200 councils in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. With the help of over 100,000 volunteers, Girls on the Run served over 185,000 girls in 2015, including its millionth girl.

In the same year, Girls on the Run hosted more than 350 end-of-season 5K (3.1 mile run) events across the United States, making the Girls on the Run 5K series the largest in the country.  The organization also launched a new middle school program, Heart & Sole, which is dedicated to the unique needs of adolescent girls.

Among many ways students can help, one way is to volunteer at their seasonal 5k’s.  SHS senior Dana Myles, has gone as far as volunteering as a junior coach in the Pocono chapter of Girls on the Run.

“I love seeing the smiling faces of the girls and getting hugs.” said Myles, “It’s such a fulfilling experience to introduce young girls to running.”

Another way students can help with this program is to donate.  An investment in Girls on the Run supports curriculum enrichment and development so that lessons remain relevant to today’s girls and the issues they face. Funds also go to the coaches and volunteers’ trainings to ensure the quality of the program.

You can donate at https://www.girlsontherun.org/Get-Involved/Donate.