Valedictorian Oliver Maloney shares insight into the honor

Describe your feelings about earning this impressive award.

I am overjoyed to have the honor of being the valedictorian of the class of 2015. Ai??This is something that I have worked so hard for over the past few years, and it feels amazing to be recognized with this prestigious award.

Which teacher/educator has been most influential in your academic success?

Mr. Clemson has been most influential in my academic success in high school. Ai??I believe I was able to find a specific niche in Calculus, and the way Mr. Clemson presented the material made every piece of information intriguing, which motivated me to learn. Ai??I have never been bored with or tired of the work in Mr. Clemsonai??i??s class, but yet I have yearned to learn more each day.

Outside of education, who has been your greatest influence?

Outside of education, my greatest influences have been my parents. Ai??Both of my parents have been models for me to follow, and have been constant sources of support. Ai??Without their guidance and wisdom, I would not be anywhere close to where I am today. Ai??They helped to instill values of hard work and discipline from my youth on.

What are your plans after high school?

After High School, I will be attending the University of Pennsylvania. Ai??I am currently enrolled in the College of Arts and Sciences, but as of right now I am not dead-set on a major. Ai??My goal though is to pursue a career in the field of math or science.

What other award or goal have you received in high school that you are most proud of? Ai??Why?

In High School, I was named the EPC Scholar Athlete for both Soccer and Track and Field, which have been especially meaningful to me. Ai??I always have tried to find a balance between sports and academics, and these awards have specifically acknowledge the worth of this balance. Ai??Also, athletics have been such a large part of my High School career so I am honored to be recognized with these awards.

What are your favorite hobbies? Ai??And why do you enjoy them so much?

My favorite hobbies are playing basketball, running, and listening to music. Ai??Basketball and running I feel are great physical activities that also act as excellent stress relievers. Ai??Also, listening to music is extremely relaxing, and I love how thought provoking different kinds of music can be.

What has been most rewarding about your high school experience?

The most rewarding aspect of high school for my has been my experiences with my friends. Ai??As a graduating class, we have been together for so many years and have had so many memories, that I will never forget the enjoyment we have had together. Ai??The final stretch of senior year, with track districts closing my high school athletic career, has brought me closer to all of my teammates and friends which is something that I value greatly.

What advice can you give SHS underclassmen?

The advice I would give to underclassmen would be to make the most out of your time. Ai??Enjoy every moment of high school, as it is an amazing journey that flies by. Ai??So much though can be accomplished if you make use out of all of your time. Ai??Take chances and try something new, for example a new sport or a new club, as you never know what you may grow to love.