Mountaineer

New students adjust to Stroudsburg High School

Stroudsburg High School’s staff and students help new students in the transitioning process at the high school.

Cassandra Oppelt, Staff Writer

Every year, new students arrive at SHS. According to the principal, Mr. Jeffrey Sodl, the administration wants these students to feel as though they are part of the SHS school community as quickly as possible.

“As a school, we take great importance in making sure new students are aware of the special extracurricular opportunities and unique classes we offer,” said Sodl.

To assist students in the transitioning process of coming to a new school, National Honor Society hosts a program that shows new students around the halls of SHS. However, many new students still find difficulties in learning about the interesting classes and extracurricular opportunities SHS has to offer.

Therefore, the faculty and staff are coming up with more effective ways to assist new students.

New students can go to the guidance office for help in registering classes.  They can even email their guidance counselors. They have many options to help them discover new extra curricular activities, and much more.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
11 Comments

11 Responses to “New students adjust to Stroudsburg High School”

1. Charlie Grimsey on November 8th, 2018 8:43 AM

I ‘m sure that any new sophomore student would be intimidated by the scale of SHS. I certainly was.

My family had told me that High School would be insanely difficult and that i needed to shape up, and it seemed like they were right at first. During the beginning, I would be lost in the hallway, or get stuck on a certain assignment. I thought that this year would be one of my most stressful years of my life.
    However, I soon began to get better. the assignments weren’t as hard as I had thought, and I started to feel very comfortable around the teachers. (even though I didn’t even know them) Because of the assistance that both the staff and teachers provide, and all the activities and fun events that take place here, i think that this school will actually turn out to be an amazing experience

Thank you Staff for everything you do to help out new students here. You have truly help to fan the flames for a new generation of Innovation and Discovery.

Sincerely, Charlie G (10th Grade)

2. Dasia Reyna on November 9th, 2018 1:14 PM

I think that its a great thing to show new students around the school when they first arrive. It helps new students feel welcomed.

3. Bryanna Morykan on November 13th, 2018 8:45 AM

10/10 the best thing I have ever read

4. Nardin on November 13th, 2018 8:52 AM

As soon as I came to the school , I was lost but the staff was a tremendous impact helping me get to my classes and finding my way around . During freshman year I thought highschool was going to be hard and that I wouldn’t adjust here but the juniors and seniors were also a big help

5. Thomas Crotty on November 13th, 2018 8:54 AM

Very good article. Very helpful!

6. Sam Muniz on November 13th, 2018 9:28 AM

Coming to the high school was way easier than i thought. Guidance and administration helped a lot.

7. ben sweeney on November 13th, 2018 9:28 AM

I think this is a great thing that this school is doing. I love how welcoming we are as a school

8. Jace Tutty on November 13th, 2018 9:33 AM

This article really speaks out and helps me understand why we’re such a good school. Somehow, we always find a way to help each other as a community. I too thought I would be lost within the first few weeks of school, but with the help of the staff, I picked up on it pretty easy.

9. Maria Albuja on November 13th, 2018 9:42 AM

Good way to make students feel welcomed .

10. Tom Mathiesen on November 13th, 2018 1:25 PM

This school is lightwork

11. Maria Albuja on November 13th, 2018 2:29 PM

It’s a good way to make students feel welcomed.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Navigate Left

News

NHS collects canned goods and more for the needy

• New students adjust to Stroudsburg High School

Events happening in the community

Holiday Camp coming to Stroud Township

News

Holiday meals donated to veterans in Monroe County

News

Find out ways to help California Wildfire victims

News

Stroudsburg High School’s class of 2020 hosts its annual Clue fundraiser

News

Quiet Valley Living Historical Farm hosts 28th Old Time Christmas event

News

Key Club to hold Breakfast with Santa event

• New students adjust to Stroudsburg High School

Mountie Minute

Author visits SHS to share her incredible life story

• New students adjust to Stroudsburg High School