NHS collects canned goods and more for the needy

Elisa-Marie Rivera, Staff Writer

The National Honor Society is currently holding it’s annual “Can the Principal” food drive.  Their goal this year is to collect over 3,000 cans.  The event started on Monday, December 3 and runs through Thursday, December 18.

As Stroudsburg High school students donate cans or any food items, the NHS will collect the items and give them to Pleasant Valley Ecumenica, which will distribute them to people in Hamilton Township.

SHS students are encouraged to bring the cans to first period.  The first period class that contributes the most will receive a free bagel breakfast with hot chocolate.

NHS will regularly collect the donations regularly stack them in the SHS principal Mr. Jeffrey Sodl’s office.

There are certain items in particular that would be helpful.

“They don’t get a lot of condiments like ketchup, mustard, mayo, and pickles,” said adviser Ms. Moira Loughman.

In addition, Loughman added that the Pleasant Valley Ecumenica asked for other specific items. Below is a list:

salt, pepper, coffee, tea, jelly, pancake mix, italian spice mix, sugar, canned corn, green beans, peas and carrots (low sodium or no salt added) canned peaches, pears, mandarin oranges (light, light syrup or fruit juice) canned pasta sauce, pasta, rice side dishes, family sized soups- (low sodium) condensed soups – (chicken noodle cream of chicken and cream of pasta) cereal, and oatmeal.

For more information, contact Ms. Loughman at [email protected].