Becca’s Closet provides free prom dresses again this year

Elisa-Marie Rivera, Staff Writer

For the second straight year, Becca’s Closet was a stunning success.

Becca’s Closet is a national nonprofit organization that collects donated prom dresses, shoes, and accessories, and then gives them away for free to high school females attending prom.  

“We do this so that every girl, no matter her financial situation, can have a beautiful dress for prom,” said junior Taryn Silvernale, who is in charge of running the event. Previously, she had worked with recent SHS graduate Katie Trouman. Now, Silvernale is running this event for the second year in a row.

The event was held in the Stroudsburg High School faculty cafeteria.

Over all the event was successful, and at least sixty dresses were taken out of Becca’s Closet.

“The experience was a lot of fun as always,” said Silvernale. “It’s always exciting when I get to see someone find their perfect dress, and I would like to thank PromGirl for donating so many beautiful dresses earlier this year.”

The number of dresses Becca’s Closet has available simply depends on the year. They currently have nearly one thousand dresses from which to choose. They receive many donations every year, and have received approximately one hundred.

“PromGirl also annually donates a lot of dresses, new with tags and only very minor defects,” said Silvernale. Again, for them we are extremely thankful.”

Anyone that still wants to donate a dress should contact Taryn Silvernale at her phone number (570) 977-7234.

If you have any questions, feel free to email Taryn Silvernale, [email protected]