The SHS library buzzes with various activites

Middle school librarian excited about move to SHS

Kaylee Villanueva Santos, Staff Writer

For many, it is the home base of knowledge: the SHS library. From the new books pouring in, to peer tutoring, to the thriving book club, to the academic support program, the library is jumping.  Oh yes, there is one other new addition.

“Well the newest addition is our new librarian,” said Ms. Karin Kraeutler, assistant librarian. Her name is Ms. Sherie Stauffer. “She will be organizing both Book Club and Peer Tutoring.”

Stauffer transferred from the Stroudsburg Middle School and is the new head librarian. Stauffer said the main purpose of her job is to “help students find books to read, and to help teachers research and other reference needs. I love it.”

The library staff is excited about this year, especially the new books which should arrive soon. Even if the library does not have a specific book in stock, students can request one by simply filling out a pink form.

This year, the library has incorporated a new policy to put bags up on shelves. The shelves were cleared to make space for the bags to prevent students from tripping as they walked around.

The process to get passes remains the same: check in during homeroom to see if the library is open and sign up for a pass.

Book club meets during lunches on Fridays in the library to discuss the books they are reading. The club’s 60 members are currently discussing the novel Scythe, by Neal Schusterman.  The students vote on which book they want to read.

Students interested in joining will be able to do so when the group starts reading the next book.

“We will take new members after this book; probably around parent-teacher conferences in mid-November,” said Stauffer. “They can come to the library to join and I’ll put them on the wait-list and email them when they can join.”

The library also provides a peer tutoring program.

“Technically, I’m working with Ms. Verwey,” said Stauffer. “National Honor Society is helping during the school day, and the library offers after-school help. We have 15 total members.”

In this support program, tutors from the high school help students from the high school, junior high, middle school, Arlington Elementary and B. F. Morey Elementary after school. Tutoring for the high school and junior high is available on Tuesdays 2:30 until 4:00 p.m., while students go to the middle school from arrival until 3:15 and elementary schools from arrival until 4:00 p.m. on Fridays.

Students interested in tutoring support should “contact the library staff and we will set them up with a tutor with the subject in need,” said Stauffer.” Students who need more help or information should visit the library.

Another form of tutoring is academic support, available Monday through Wednesday 2:45 to 4:00 p.m. The purpose of this program is to assist “kids on athletic probation, to help get them back on teams,” said Kraeutler.

[email protected]
[email protected]