SHS students meet with SASD Superintendent

Samuel Watanabe, Staff Writer

Twice a year, Stroudsburg’s superintendent, Dr. Cosmas Curry, hosts an event where students sign up to participate in the Dr. Curry Student Advisory Committee(SAC).

Students received emails prior to the school year to join this committee, which allows them to speak face to face with Dr. Curry. The students are split up into three separate committees that represent the sophomore, junior, and senior classes. The meetings take place in the library and the dates vary from year to year.

“The importance is to have a heart to heart conversation with students to answer two questions: What are we doing well? What can we do better? The ultimate goal is to prepare the best academic programming to prepare our students for the workforce, military training, and college,” said Dr. Curry. 

During this meeting on October 23, seniors discussed many important issues that are currently present in our school such as disciplinary issues, the state of the junior high, communication among staff and students, and a better transition from 7th to 8th grade.

Two more meetings are planned for later this month and the start of next month for the junior and sophomore classes. During those meetings, they will discuss even more issues.

After all of the meetings, Dr. Curry personally takes his notes on all of the topics both debated on and presented into consideration. He will then call for another meeting to take place during the second half of the school year.

A gallery from the event is below.