Student Spotlight on Johanna Gelbs

Photo by and of Johanna Gelbs.

Anthony Cusumano, Staff Writer

What are your plans after graduation?

After graduation, I will attend a four year college or university to study Musical Theatre! After that, my biggest goal is to make a living performing and doing what I love. 

What values are important to you?

In others, I really value trust, communication, humor, and ambition. Those values make all relationships work. In myself, I always try to provide those same values as well as kindness, compassion, dedication and to live truthfully in every circumstance. To me, it’s all about finding the perfect balance of all of those values. I feel as if I’m creating a new version of myself every day.

What is your favorite thing about yourself? 

That I give others a chance. I try not to live by pre-existing “comments” or “reputations” of others. Everyone deserves a chance to live their truth and to be loved for it. I love that I am able to see situations from every perspective yet still choose to live by the optimistic side of things.

What are your opinions on today’s trends, and your favorite one?

I feel like everybody is trying to compete with each other… whether it’s on social media, or in real life, everyone is trying to live up to a false standard of what’s cool and what isn’t.  I don’t think a hydro flask or your followers on Instagram should determine if you’re cool or not. 

However, I really love how everyone is really into loving and accepting all types of people. Everyone is really inclusive (most of the time) and even if people don’t agree with others beliefs of thoughts, our generation seems to have a bit more compassion.

What’s something people don’t worry about but really should?

REPRESENTATION!!!! MATTERS!!!! People seem to really over that and I think it should be brought up more. More girls in male-dominated fields, more people of color in higher-paid jobs, on television, on Broadway, in movies etc. Younger children, no matter the color, need to see someone that looks like them on those platforms. It instills hope, inclusion, and worth. 

What is your life motto?

Everything happens for a reason. SO cliche but so true. Sometimes things don’t go the way you’ve planned, but it always turns out the way it’s meant to.

How do you judge a person?  

I try to judge by someone’s character. Someone who is good to others when nobody is watching. Someone is funny, communicative, loyal, and trustworthy!

What is something that most people may not know about you?.

That I was born a twin, and that I’m a lefty!!! :)

What qualities do you value in people who you spend time with?

That they’re the absolute funniest girls on the planet. I find myself belly laughing whenever I’m around them. I think that’s so important. They also just get me…they understand me better than I do sometimes. 

What movie can you watch over and over without ever getting tired of?  

THE PARENT TRAP (!!!!!) Or “It’s A Wonderful Life” :) Best message in the world; you never know the impact you have on others.