SHS Book Club goes virtual; students can zoom in on great novels

A special guest will join Book Club to discuss famous novel

Ivana Karataseva, Video Editor

The Book Club book club is one of the SHS many clubs that has not allowed the COVID-19 pandemic to stop them.  The reading enthusiasts have continued meeting virutally using Zoom.

Advisers Ms. Sherie Stauffer (SHS librarian) and Ms. Karin Kraeutler (assistant librarian) have been holding weekly meetings on Fridays for Book Club members. During these online meetings, members can discuss books they are reading, as well as share other insights and thoughts during this difficult time.  They even take time to play some games.

“Book club is a time for us to enjoy discussing books together and reconnecting,” said Stauffer.

Before the year was cut short, Book Club members were finishing up their third book of the year: Dear Edward, by Ann Napolitano. Since the students did not finish reading the novel,  Stauffer and Kraeutler decided to provide the members with an opportunity to do that and more.

The students have picked the classic novel Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austin to read next. They are planning on finishing the novel on Friday, May 15.  There will be a special guest at that meeting: middle school librarian Ms. Kathleen Dubicki.  A huge fan of the novel, Dubicki will join the discussion and share her insights.

“I love talking about books and so many kids love talking about books,” said Dubicki. “By having these cyber meetings, we can help kids that are going through a rough time right now. We can reach out, provide support, and get a routine going, which will allow students to focus on their love for books rather than these hard times.”

If anyone is interested in joining the discussion, please contact Stauffer at [email protected] to get the Google Meet link.

The next meeting will be on Friday, May 15 at noon.

If students don’t own the book, they can read it for free on one of the following links:

https://soraapp.com/welcome

https://novels77.com/243090-pride-and-prejudice.html