Teacher feature on Ms. Kunkle

Kevin Clark, Staff Writer

At which school in the district do you teach? 

I am a fourth grade teacher at Chipperfield Elementary School.

What subject(s) do you teach?

I teach all subjects – Reading, Writing, Grammar, Spelling, Math, Science, and Social Studies!

What I Love About Teaching: 

My passion, motivation, and inspiration for teaching comes from my awesome students! Teaching is so many different things on a daily basis, but for me, the magic of this profession happens in those “light bulb” moments during a lesson when a student understands a challenging Math concept or when a student is willing to take a risk by sharing a literature response with the class. I love guiding students and challenging them to reach their fullest potential every single day!

Every day is a new adventure! Being a good teacher means being able to laugh at yourself when technology refuses to cooperate during a lesson. Teaching is the ability to adjust at a moment’s notice with a smile on your face. I love teaching my students that in those moments, we can solve problems with humility, grace, and compassion. A sign that hangs in my classroom guides us in a positive direction every day: Anything is Possible If You Try. I remind my students that we are capable of accomplishing great things if we take chances, try our best, and never give up!

I think teaching is one of the most important professions in the world! I love that I have the opportunity to enable students to learn and grow academically, socially, and emotionally. Every year, I have a new chance to guide, challenge, and inspire students to become confident readers, writers, problem-solvers, and critical thinkers. Most of all, I love being able to share my love of learning with my students and help them find their true passions!

Best Lessons to Teach Students:

I teach my fourth graders many different academic skills every day, but the most important knowledge I can pass on to them is a “life lesson”. Teaching/modeling kindness, empathy, character, perseverance, and leadership in my classroom creates a positive, safe, caring learning environment. I want my students to see the strength, potential, and light that shines within each of them. I hope to show them that mistakes are learning opportunities, that we never stop learning, and that we have the ability to “Be the Change” in the world! I try to make a difference in their lives so they can pay it forward and do the same for others!

I want my students to reflect on their time in my classroom and hold these important life lessons close to their hearts! I hope to inspire my students to be kind, positive, and compassionate individuals. I want them to remember that they are capable of doing anything…Set your sights high and reach for the stars!

Photo via Ms. Kunkle