Student Spotlight on Aubrey Connors

Jessica Brady, Staff Writer

What activities or hobbies do you enjoy outside of school? 

My favorite hobby to do outside of school (and technically in school as well) is singing! Singing boosts my mood even when I’m having a bad day. I currently attend singing classes outside of school, but in school I am a part of choir and Chorale.

What are your plans after graduation?

After graduation, I would love to major in computer science (preferably at Brown University), particularly so I can earn my bachelor of science or arts degree. Technology fascinates me and I’d love to be a part of this field so I can see how it changes over time. I’d like to become a programmer one day for an important company and have enough money to travel the world.

What social stigma does society need to get over?

A social stigma society needs to get over is anything surrounding mental health. A lot of times people are quick to assume that someone who admits that they are struggling is doing it for attention when in reality, they have no clue what that person is thinking/feeling. It breaks my heart to look online and see/hear many negative opinions about mental health and people with mental health issues. There should not be a definition of anxiety, depression, ADHD, OCD, etc., because everyone with those mental health disorders may experience it differently.

Which countries/places would you like to travel to?

My number one choice would have to be South Korea. The culture and the food are beyond amazing and I would love to travel there when I’m older.

What is your greatest strength?/ What is your greatest weakness?

My greatest weakness is also my greatest strength. I have anxiety and depression, and you may think that those can hinder a person greatly, and at times, they do. But, on the more positive side of things, you can also use it to your advantage. Whenever I feel like I’m about to go downhill into a depressed mood or get really anxious, I take time to reflect and ask myself, “Is it really worth worrying/getting all sad about?” Anytime I reflect upon this it pushes me to keep going and work harder, because you may have one bad day or a bunch of them in a row, but the storm always passes through.

What is your life motto?

My life motto is to just. keep. pushing! Life gets better, it sounds so cliche, but trust me on that.