NHS provides tutoring for struggling students

Tutors are members of National Honor Society

Photo via Wikimedia Commons

National Honor Society is dedicated to helping students and the community.

Zyaire Coles, Staff Writer

For struggling students, there is help: Peer Tutoring.

Peer tutoring is held in the SHS library. Students can sign up for tutoring during study hall, lunch, and after school on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:30-4:00.

Peer tutoring is advised by SHS librarian Ms. Sherie Stauffer. The tutors are all National Honor Society (NHS) members. If students schedule a tutoring session during a  study hall or lunch,  the session will last 42 min. If they schedule a tutoring session for after school, the sessions can last up to 90 minutes.

For some students, the afternoon sessions can be a problem because they don’t have transportation home.  The high school provides an activity bus that will take care of that. Students must sign up in advance for that bus, though.

If students want to sign up for tutoring, they must sign up 24 hours ahead of time. Signing up early can guarantee the chance of assuring a tutor will be available to help. 

Peer tutoring can help students with their academic struggles. Tutoring can especially help athletes who are on academic probation. Academic probation is when athletes can’t participate in games due to low grades. Very effective tutoring can guarantee success.

“You will have higher grades, it will make you look better, and you will get the best out of your education,” said Stauffer.

To sign up for a tutoring session, simply visit sburg.org, go to the student link, and find the high school Destiny Library link. Students can stop by the library or email Stauffer at [email protected].