It is time to think about your future

Zyaire Coles, Staff Writer

Some people have a definite career choice that they want to pursue. Yet, many people don’t realize that finding work in their field after college can be a major hurdle to jump. 

At LinkedIn.com, the University of Washington said, “It takes the average college graduate three to six months to secure employment after graduation.”

College students may struggle with finding work because they did not pursue volunteer or networking opportunities during college, or, they did not obtain the skills needed for their specific job choice while they were in college.

Some careers may be looking for different perspectives and skill sets that colleges may not teach. Getting experience during college would look good on a resume and increase the chances of success.

“I made sure I started looking for a job while I was still a senior in college so I didn’t have so much pressure to find one immediately after graduation,” said SHS guidance counselor, Theresa Onody. “I also kept my mindset open to all types of job opportunities, as I knew I’d have to start somewhere to gain experience in the field before being able to find a more permanent career track.”

Networking can help form professional relationships that can give an idea of what is going on within a major and give tips on how to obtain your dream job. Looking into the job market can help you figure out if your career choice is the right choice for you. Learning about what jobs are available in the field you chose, and what the requirements are can give you a higher chance of receiving the job you want.

“It may be a good idea to sign up for sites to share your resume with prospective employers,” said Onody. This can be done through sites such as Indeed.com.

Applying to different jobs and showing initiative lets hiring managers know you mean business and are serious about working. Not taking initiative can make managers question whether you want or need the job.

“I was proactive in searching for jobs. I made sure to get my name and qualifications out to everyone I associated with, several people knew of job opportunities and put me in touch with a contact person,” said Ms. Sandra Striba. 

Volunteering can lead to more connections and more skills that may be needed in your desired profession. Volunteering can also give a possibility of bumping into future employers or people who know other employers that you will be interested in.

Career Fairs are also a good way to gain skills for finding work. Like the Career Fair being provided to SHS students on Friday, March 10th. Fairs can help you gain interview experience and learn more about jobs that you never thought about before but could be a new interest and would be a good choice for you.

Landing an internship or a part-time job can give you an inside look at what the experience will be like in your desired career.

Internships can lead to finding job connections.

In addition, Part-time jobs help you enhance your skills and find out what you enjoy doing. These jobs could also potentially lead to full-time jobs.

Professional development groups (Groups that are engaged in professions to gain public interest) can narrow down all the job postings on bigger websites. The groups can help you find jobs in specific locations and fields. Career tips can also be looked upon within these groups. 

“Get involved with a career/business/company/school that you are interested in. Look for internships, summer jobs, part-time work, and volunteer opportunities within your career to get experience, contacts, and references,” said Striba. 

Check out Mint.intuit.com to take a look at the rest of the tips for finding work after college.

Also check out Timesunion.com, Indeed.com, and CNBC.com for more  after college info.