Poll

Would you rather live 100 years in the past or 100 years in the future?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Stroudsburg High Schools promotional Flyer for the King of Hearts dance.
SENIORS! Prepare for King of Hearts and senior superlative voting
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • January 26, 2024

As the King of Heart's Dance draws near, take a look at the senior superlative and prepare to vote for your KOH nominees on Monday during homeroom! The...

Continue Reading
If you need tutoring, please join the Google Classroom so we can match you up with someone to help you. (Logo credit: NHS)
NHS Peer Tutoring
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • November 20, 2023

If you need tutoring, please join the Google Classroom so we can match you up with someone to help you. Please fill out the Google Form on Google...

Continue Reading
Poetry Out Loud Contest gives out a prize of $20,000 to the winner! (Logo credit: Poetry Out Loud)
Poetry Out Loud Contest
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • November 16, 2023

Check out Poetry Out Loud, see Ms. Griswold, room C125 to get more information.

Continue Reading
Denzel Key, 12, at the free throw line during Stroudsburgs 58-41 win over Dieruff on December 22nd, 2023. 
Photo taken by Danielle Ramstine.
Stroudsburg one win away from State Tournament
Jaden Harper, Staff Writer • February 29, 2024

Stroudsburg fell to Parkland High School, 50-38, in the District 11 semifinals Wednesday night at William Allen High School in Allentown, PA. Micaiah 'Meeks' Brown, 12,...

Continue Reading
Anna Kirby poses for a picture after beating her second record of the season.
Anna Kirby breaks a second school record for the season
Georgie English, Staff writer • February 27, 2024

Then, just last week, Kirby broke another record at The Last Chance swim meet on Saturday, Feb. 17, "Kirby break school record".  Kirby set the record for...

Continue Reading
Jacob Bajek, 11, takes on competitors at EPC competition on February 8th, 2024.
Chess team rallies at 2024 EPC Competition
Jaden Harper, Staff Writer • February 26, 2024

The Stroudsburg chess team sent its varsity roster to the Chess Eastern Pennslyvania Conference (EPC) competition on Thursday, Feb. 8. The team's varsity roster consists of...

Continue Reading
View All

How to tackle seasonal depression

Delaney Burke
Photograph shows how winter weather can poorly affect teens mental health.

If you’re feeling down and burnt out this winter, look for symptoms of seasonal depression. Seasonal affective disorder (SAD), is a type of depression that happens during certain seasons of the year—most often fall or winter.

According to John’s Hopkins Medicine, it is thought that shorter days and less daylight may trigger a chemical change in the brain leading to symptoms of depression.

The JHM journal stated, “Melatonin, a sleep-related hormone, also has been linked to SAD. The body naturally makes more melatonin when it’s dark. So, when the days are shorter and darker, more melatonin is made.”

The most common type of SAD is fall-onset. This normally occurs in the fall and winter months and tends to stop in the summer months. The less common variant of seasonal depression is spring-onset and occurs in the warmer parts of the year.

Seasonal affective disorder usually starts during adulthood, but can often occur in someone’s teenage years. The risk of SAD does increase with age and is more common in women than men.

Symptoms of this disorder can include increased sleep and daytime drowsiness, loss of interest and pleasure in activities, social withdrawal and increased sensitivity to rejection, irritability, anxiety, feelings of hopelessness, fatigue, low energy, decreased ability to focus, weight gain, and increased appetite.

But how can someone fight the feelings of SAD? According to Piedmont Magazine, there are six key ways to stay healthy during the harsh winter months.

1. Exercise. Exercise increases dopamine levels in the brain. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that creates feelings of excitement. Even small ways of being active, like taking a walk or going to a dance class can improve someone’s overall mood.
  2. Drinking more water can aid digestion, increase time sleeping, and circulate vitamins throughout the body. 
  3. Sun exposure boosts serotonin, creating a happy feeling that can help defeat depressive feelings.
  4. Spending time with friends or loved ones can help someone talk about how they are feeling and create a healthy support system.
  5. Eating a balanced diet that incorporates a variety of foods can build brain power and improve your mood. Eating foods rich in omega-3 fats and high amounts of tryptophan can develop a healthy immune system that allows for higher energy levels.
  6. Go outside. Absorbing fresh air and oxygen can increase vitamin D and dopamine levels. 

Elif Zeytinoglu, 11, said, “One of the biggest things that affects me is less sunlight so I try to go to sleep earlier and work in the daylight since I’m exhausted all the time.”

Dealing with seasonal depressive disorder can be difficult, but resources are always available. If you’re struggling, reach out to a therapist, counselor, or SAMHSA National Hotline for immediate help.

View Comments (1)