Poll

Would you rather live 100 years in the past or 100 years in the future?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Stroudsburg High Schools promotional Flyer for the King of Hearts dance.
SENIORS! Prepare for King of Hearts and senior superlative voting
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • January 26, 2024

As the King of Heart's Dance draws near, take a look at the senior superlative and prepare to vote for your KOH nominees on Monday during homeroom! The...

Continue Reading
If you need tutoring, please join the Google Classroom so we can match you up with someone to help you. (Logo credit: NHS)
NHS Peer Tutoring
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • November 20, 2023

If you need tutoring, please join the Google Classroom so we can match you up with someone to help you. Please fill out the Google Form on Google...

Continue Reading
Poetry Out Loud Contest gives out a prize of $20,000 to the winner! (Logo credit: Poetry Out Loud)
Poetry Out Loud Contest
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • November 16, 2023

Check out Poetry Out Loud, see Ms. Griswold, room C125 to get more information.

Continue Reading
Denzel Key, 12, at the free throw line during Stroudsburgs 58-41 win over Dieruff on December 22nd, 2023. 
Photo taken by Danielle Ramstine.
Stroudsburg one win away from State Tournament
Jaden Harper, Staff Writer • February 29, 2024

Stroudsburg fell to Parkland High School, 50-38, in the District 11 semifinals Wednesday night at William Allen High School in Allentown, PA. Micaiah 'Meeks' Brown, 12,...

Continue Reading
Anna Kirby poses for a picture after beating her second record of the season.
Anna Kirby breaks a second school record for the season
Georgie English, Staff writer • February 27, 2024

Then, just last week, Kirby broke another record at The Last Chance swim meet on Saturday, Feb. 17, "Kirby break school record".  Kirby set the record for...

Continue Reading
Jacob Bajek, 11, takes on competitors at EPC competition on February 8th, 2024.
Chess team rallies at 2024 EPC Competition
Jaden Harper, Staff Writer • February 26, 2024

The Stroudsburg chess team sent its varsity roster to the Chess Eastern Pennslyvania Conference (EPC) competition on Thursday, Feb. 8. The team's varsity roster consists of...

Continue Reading
View All

Success in the Struggle: The Story of the 2023-24 Stroudsburg Chess Team

It’s not always about winning.
Chandler+Lynch%2C+11%2C+takes+on+Alex+Morales%2C+12%2C+in+a+practice+game+of+chess+while+Santino+Baxter%2C+11%2C+looks+on.+
Stauffer
Chandler Lynch, 11, takes on Alex Morales, 12, in a practice game of chess while Santino Baxter, 11, looks on.

Last year, the Stroudsburg chess team was loaded with seasoned senior players, leading to a successful 2022-23 campaign for the team. This year has been different, though. After losing most of their varsity players, only four seniors returned for the team this season, Alex Morales, Jeremy Fanelli, Andrew Castro, and Hassan Malik. Sheri Stauffer, the varsity chess coach said, “Hassan Malik and Alex Morales have taken the lead in helping their new teammates. During practice, they show the others their blunders and ways to turn the game in their favor.”

Joining them this year are Jacob Bajek, 11, Chandler Lynch, 11, Santino Baxter, 11, Matt Sanchez, 11, Mohammad Malik, 10, Megan Lisnik, 10, Omar Osmanzai, 10, Patrick Visaggi, 10, and Duncan Ruschman, 10. Stauffer said, “Hassan, Alex, and Jeremy helping to build our team, we will be one of the top teams next year.”

This year has been a struggle for the team, losing many of their matches, but this is a rebuilding year.

When talking to Alex Morales, 12, he said “Morale is positive – teammates are focused on learning.” Learning and growing is the main goal for the team this year considering the struggle of not being able to play against others in person. Morales also admitted that he would much rather compete in person and that when playing virtually, “it messes with his board vision”.

The team is starting to gel with Jacob Bajek, 11, leading the ranks as the team’s best player.

Coach Stauffer also gave honorable mentions to Megan Lisnik, 10, and Duncan Ruschman, 10, who have “drastically improved in the short time since they started this season”.

Recently, the Mountaineers shut out Pocono Mountain East, 5-0, which is a huge accomplishment in chess. With their season coming to an end, they are sharpening their skills in hopes of a better 2024-25 season.

2023-2024 Chess Team
Front Row: Andrew Castro, Mohammad Malik, Megan Lisnik
Second Row: Santino Baxter, Chandler Lynch, Alex Morales, Omar Osmanzai
Back Row: Jacob Bajek, Hassan Malik, Jeremy Fanelli, Patrick Visaggi , Duncan Ruschman
Matthew Sanchez is missing from the picture. Photo permission granted by Coach Stauffer.
View Comments (1)