Poll

What was your favorite lunch this week?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

March Madness Basketball Tournament; see class president, Eric Card.
3x3 Basketball Tournament
March 6, 2024

March Madness 3 x 3 basketball tournament on March 15, starting at 4pm.  Contact your class president, Eric Card, or class officers for more...

Continue Reading
Stroudsburg High Schools promotional Flyer for the King of Hearts dance.
SENIORS! Prepare for King of Hearts and senior superlative voting
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • January 26, 2024

As the King of Heart's Dance draws near, take a look at the senior superlative and prepare to vote for your KOH nominees on Monday during homeroom! The...

Continue Reading
If you need tutoring, please join the Google Classroom so we can match you up with someone to help you. (Logo credit: NHS)
NHS Peer Tutoring
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • November 20, 2023

If you need tutoring, please join the Google Classroom so we can match you up with someone to help you. Please fill out the Google Form on Google...

Continue Reading
Stroudsburg walking off of the field during game against Emmaus on April 8, 2024.
Baseball loses heartbreaker to Pleasant Valley
Jaden Harper, Staff Writer • April 11, 2024

On Wednesday, Stroudsburg lost to Pleasant Valley High School, 9-8. This game was scoreless until the top of the third inning, where Pleasant Valley scored three runs against...

Continue Reading
Long distance coach, Coach Foti, talking to runner Janel Meyers.
Photo credit: Amir Lovell, 10.
Stroudsburg High School Track and Field
Georgie English, Staff Writer • April 9, 2024

Stroudsburg High School Varsity Track and Field competed for their first home meet at Ross Stulgaitis Stadium against Northampton High School Konkrete Kids on Wednesday, March...

Continue Reading
L-R (siting): Dominic Negron, Terrel Butler, Keshav Persaud, Jessie Smith, Mason Ulmer, Logan Casebolt. 
L-R (standing): Asst. Coach Yost, Darius Quintana, Will Puskar, Tobias Ricks, Jason, Pritchard, Josh Marosi, Coach Tapiro.  2024 Boys Tennis Team photo, courtesy of coaches Tapiro and Yost, used with permission.
Stroudsburg Boys' Tennis Update
Jaden Harper and Madison NoonanApril 8, 2024

Led by Coach Gene Tapiro and Assistant Coach Ceal Yost, the 2024 boys' tennis team is off to a strong start. The 2023 team graduated several varsity players but Will Puskar,...

Continue Reading
View All

Cursive writing fights for its spot in our curriculum

Alexis Binikos
PA Representative, Joe Adams argues that bringing cursive writing back into the curriculum is beneficial for students.

Early in December of 2023, Pennsylvania State Representative, Joe Adams introduced the idea that cursive writing should be mandatory in Pennsylvania schools. 

Adams explained to ABC Action News how using cursive is practical, mainly involving legal matters. 

“Legal documents need to be signed in cursive,” states Adams, Pennsylvania State Representative. “If you want to know about the history of the United States, you want to read the Declaration of Independence, the Bill of Rights, the Constitution, and any Civil War documents you have to be able to read cursive.”

Adams is one of many representatives who believe cursive is a useful skill for students to learn. FoxNews reports, “Twenty-one states have cursive writing mandates in their curriculum.”

Most of these cursive advocators mention that many studies have indicated that cursive writing is beneficial for brain development.

According to the National Education Association, “Many studies have shown that learning cursive not only improves retention and comprehension, it engages the brain on deep levels as students learn to join letters in a continuous flow.” 

Despite this, many still believe that cursive is not worth teaching in school. These individuals argue that cursive isn’t used as much in society as it used to be.

“Cursive isn’t really used today in society,” explains Meron Domanski, 10. “You only need to briefly be taught the alphabet, but you don’t need much else.”

To bring the public’s opinion into the conversation, Action News posted a poll on X (Twitter) questioning if cursive should be brought back into schools. This poll was viewed over a thousand times and the majority of voters ruled in favor of cursive being brought back into education. 

“Cursive is beneficial for writing professionally such as signing your name and writing fast,” states Amie Garcia, 11. “It’s a skill that is utilized in life consistently even though a lot of people disregard learning it.”