Poll

What was your favorite lunch this week?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

March Madness Basketball Tournament; see class president, Eric Card.
3x3 Basketball Tournament
March 6, 2024

March Madness 3 x 3 basketball tournament on March 15, starting at 4pm.  Contact your class president, Eric Card, or class officers for more...

Continue Reading
Stroudsburg High Schools promotional Flyer for the King of Hearts dance.
SENIORS! Prepare for King of Hearts and senior superlative voting
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • January 26, 2024

As the King of Heart's Dance draws near, take a look at the senior superlative and prepare to vote for your KOH nominees on Monday during homeroom! The...

Continue Reading
If you need tutoring, please join the Google Classroom so we can match you up with someone to help you. (Logo credit: NHS)
NHS Peer Tutoring
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • November 20, 2023

If you need tutoring, please join the Google Classroom so we can match you up with someone to help you. Please fill out the Google Form on Google...

Continue Reading

Photo Credit: Amir Lovell, 10.
Boys' track team sweeps the competition
Jaden Harper, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024

The Stroudsburg boys' track team defeated William Allen and Pocono Mountain West during a dual meet on Monday, 4/22. William Allen lost 4 to Stroudsburg's 146 and PMW lost...

Continue Reading
Stroudsburg softball celebrates on field during game.
Softball continues to roll in victory

On Wed, April 24, Stroudsburg defeated East Stroudsburg South, 5-3. The team continues to roll as with 8 games left in the season, they are 8-4. Jordan Cook, 9, went...

Continue Reading
SHS Girls track wins at a dual meet, April 22, 2024 against William Allen and Pocono Mountain West. 
Photo image by Amir Lovell, 10.
Girls' Track continues to reign
Jaden Harper, Staff Writer • April 23, 2024

On Monday, April 22, the SHS track team competed in a dual meet against William Allen and Pocono Mountain West. William Allen lost to SHS girls with a final score of 4...

Continue Reading
View All

Discussions rise over a four-day school week for students

Cami Trauschke
A calendar featuring a week in which we would have 4 school days

There is a current Pennsylvania debate on whether a four-day school week has positive effects on students. According to CBS News, nearly 900 districts nationwide have already adopted this new concept, but is it the best idea? 

Traditionally, schools have had five days a week to align everyone onto the same schedule. More commonly, kids would help their families with farming when they weren’t in school which made up the entire school calendar. This is why summer break was invented, being used for different seasons of agriculture. A lot of debaters argue that this system is outdated and needs to be changed.

The idea of cutting the week down to four days has caused a lot of discussion and debate. Some people believe that a four-day school week is beneficial, while others believe that there is no reason to change traditional policies. 

“I would definitely at least like to try it, having longer days will take getting used to but I think we could do it,” says math teacher Mr. Adam Benjamin.

According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, a shorter week saves money, boosts teacher morale, and helps attendance. Studies say that with students having one less day required to come in, they will most likely want to attend school more. 

However, some people have countered this point by saying that it will worsen academic performance. As the weekend will be longer, there is more time to forget the material they learned the week prior.

“If having four days a week means the school day will be longer, I would rather stick to the traditional schedule. With sports and after-school activities, we already get home late, and lengthening the day will make it worse,” says Cameryn Beebe, 11. 

Some believe that a five-day week pushes students to have better test scores, but a study done in 2023 by RAND Corporation shows that scores from students who attended a five-day school week versus a four-day school week had about the same test scores.

“Although some pros and cons can be found, there has been no research indicating that shortening the week but lengthening each day would lead to increased academic achievement,” says Jeffery Sodl, Stroudsburg High School Principal. 

There have also been some concerns with this new idea. According to Linq, dropping down to four days can be hard for elementary students’ parents. Most parents rely on the five-day week to match up with their work schedule. Finding someone to watch their child one day a week can be challenging, and daycare costs are already high. Without the school to take care of their children, who will?

Some parents also rely on the school to provide food for their children. With the week being cut, parents might struggle with feeding their kids. For people living in poverty, this is a very real concern. This can cause a major shift in a family’s quality of life. 

Having a longer day can make it tough for younger kids to stay focused the entire day. Pennsylvania law states that we need to have 180 days or 900 hours in a school year. Excluding one day means that school days will have to be longer. Other schools have made the day 60 to 90 minutes longer.

“I think longer school days would be a terrible idea for younger students. By the time my son is home, he is already tired and overwhelmed, and my daughter has extracurricular activities so I don’t see her until late at night,” says Ms. Sarah Cepin, art teacher at Stroudsburg High School.  

The 4-day week has already been implemented in several schools across the country, but as of right now, Pennsylvania hasn’t decided. It has been brought up for discussion nationwide and is being reviewed by multiple states.  For now, our school will continue with the traditional five-day school week.

View Comments (2)