Poll

What was your favorite lunch this week?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

March Madness Basketball Tournament; see class president, Eric Card.
3x3 Basketball Tournament
March 6, 2024

March Madness 3 x 3 basketball tournament on March 15, starting at 4pm.  Contact your class president, Eric Card, or class officers for more...

Continue Reading
Stroudsburg High Schools promotional Flyer for the King of Hearts dance.
SENIORS! Prepare for King of Hearts and senior superlative voting
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • January 26, 2024

As the King of Heart's Dance draws near, take a look at the senior superlative and prepare to vote for your KOH nominees on Monday during homeroom! The...

Continue Reading
If you need tutoring, please join the Google Classroom so we can match you up with someone to help you. (Logo credit: NHS)
NHS Peer Tutoring
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • November 20, 2023

If you need tutoring, please join the Google Classroom so we can match you up with someone to help you. Please fill out the Google Form on Google...

Continue Reading
Stroudsburg walking off of the field during game against Emmaus on April 8, 2024.
Baseball loses heartbreaker to Pleasant Valley
Jaden Harper, Staff Writer • April 11, 2024

On Wednesday, Stroudsburg lost to Pleasant Valley High School, 9-8. This game was scoreless until the top of the third inning, where Pleasant Valley scored three runs against...

Continue Reading
Long distance coach, Coach Foti, talking to runner Janel Meyers.
Photo credit: Amir Lovell, 10.
Stroudsburg High School Track and Field
Georgie English, Staff Writer • April 9, 2024

Stroudsburg High School Varsity Track and Field competed for their first home meet at Ross Stulgaitis Stadium against Northampton High School Konkrete Kids on Wednesday, March...

Continue Reading
L-R (siting): Dominic Negron, Terrel Butler, Keshav Persaud, Jessie Smith, Mason Ulmer, Logan Casebolt. 
L-R (standing): Asst. Coach Yost, Darius Quintana, Will Puskar, Tobias Ricks, Jason, Pritchard, Josh Marosi, Coach Tapiro.  2024 Boys Tennis Team photo, courtesy of coaches Tapiro and Yost, used with permission.
Stroudsburg Boys' Tennis Update
Jaden Harper and Madison NoonanApril 8, 2024

Led by Coach Gene Tapiro and Assistant Coach Ceal Yost, the 2024 boys' tennis team is off to a strong start. The 2023 team graduated several varsity players but Will Puskar,...

Continue Reading
View All

Meals On Wheels is more than a food program

A+quilt+map+created+by+clients%2C+staff%2C+volunteers+symbolizes+the+unified+community.+The+quilt+is+a+wall+display+at+the+Monroe+County+location.+
Gian Leoj Dela Cruz
A quilt map created by clients, staff, volunteers symbolizes the unified community. The quilt is a wall display at the Monroe County location.

Monroe County’s Meals On Wheels is a non-profit organization that is mainly volunteer-driven with many sponsors and connections. Started in October of 1972, they work to provide the nutritional needs of homebound individuals and ensure that they can stay safe whilst continuing an independent lifestyle.

Executive Director, Alyssa Koeck, shared the program’s growth. During their first opening, only ten clients were served. Now, they serve an average of 325 clients a month with over 550 clients in the last year, hoping to further increase the number in the coming years.

Many share the misconception that Meals On Wheels (MOW) only provides meals exclusively to seniors. However, the truth is that anyone 18 or older who is unable to prepare their meals due to physical or mental limitations can benefit from the program. Additionally, Meals On Wheels offers a pet food program, distributes household essentials, and gives gifts on birthdays and other special occasions.

Meals come from a Northeast Pennsylvania Meals On Wheels organization up in Scranton around an hour or two away from their current location. The clients are given 14 meals a week, where they can opt for daily meals or frozen meals. However, MOW considers individual clients’ health and needs and provides separate meals accordingly, to ensure their needs are met.

Over 200 volunteers help deliver balanced meals while providing daily human connection to homebound individuals throughout Monroe County.

They arrive at the MOW building from 10:00 to 10:30 to pick up these meals and deliver them using their car, gas, and time.

“Volunteers love getting to know the clients and brightening their days – many say the best part is the conversations that they have with the clients on their route.”, says executive director, Koeck.

If you want to make a difference in the lives of those in need, consider supporting Meals On Wheels today.

By volunteering for just a few hours a week, you can make a difference in someone’s life and brighten their day with a friendly conversation. However, you need to be 18 or older to volunteer and deliver meals. An application is necessary to complete and make sure to have papers and information readily available for a background check. For more information, you can check through this website, https://monroemeals.org.

If you cannot volunteer, there are many other ways to support them. You can start by hosting an event such as a pet food drive or a client needs pantry drive at https://monroemeals.org. You can also donate at https://monroemeals.org. To mail a paper check to MOW, you can send it to 901 Polk Valley Road, Stroudsburg, PA 18360.