Poll

What was your favorite lunch this week?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

March Madness Basketball Tournament; see class president, Eric Card.
3x3 Basketball Tournament
March 6, 2024

March Madness 3 x 3 basketball tournament on March 15, starting at 4pm.  Contact your class president, Eric Card, or class officers for more...

Continue Reading
Stroudsburg High Schools promotional Flyer for the King of Hearts dance.
SENIORS! Prepare for King of Hearts and senior superlative voting
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • January 26, 2024

As the King of Heart's Dance draws near, take a look at the senior superlative and prepare to vote for your KOH nominees on Monday during homeroom! The...

Continue Reading
If you need tutoring, please join the Google Classroom so we can match you up with someone to help you. (Logo credit: NHS)
NHS Peer Tutoring
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • November 20, 2023

If you need tutoring, please join the Google Classroom so we can match you up with someone to help you. Please fill out the Google Form on Google...

Continue Reading

Photo Credit: Amir Lovell, 10.
Boys' track team sweeps the competition
Jaden Harper, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024

The Stroudsburg boys' track team defeated William Allen and Pocono Mountain West during a dual meet on Monday, 4/22. William Allen lost 4 to Stroudsburg's 146 and PMW lost...

Continue Reading
Stroudsburg softball celebrates on field during game.
Softball continues to roll in victory

On Wed, April 24, Stroudsburg defeated East Stroudsburg South, 5-3. The team continues to roll as with 8 games left in the season, they are 8-4. Jordan Cook, 9, went...

Continue Reading
SHS Girls track wins at a dual meet, April 22, 2024 against William Allen and Pocono Mountain West. 
Photo image by Amir Lovell, 10.
Girls' Track continues to reign
Jaden Harper, Staff Writer • April 23, 2024

On Monday, April 22, the SHS track team competed in a dual meet against William Allen and Pocono Mountain West. William Allen lost to SHS girls with a final score of 4...

Continue Reading
View All

A musical icon, an entrepreneur, a living legend: Dolly Parton

Celebrating Women’s History Month
Peyton Costigan
Half time shows, Country music awards, free children’s books for all; Dolly Parton is a living legend

Dolly Parton is a very well known person in the music industry; known for her country music, specifically.

Some of her biggest hits were “Joshua,” “Jolene,” “The Bargain Store,” “I Will Always Love You,” “Here You Come Again,” “9 to 5,” and “ Islands in the Stream.” 

Parton, however, is much more than a musician. She is one of the most influential women in all of history. 

She is the wealthiest country music artist, male or female, with a net worth of $350 Million. 

Dolly found success with country star Porter Wagoner in the 1960s and has been singing for over 50 years. She is still singing today; last year she performed during the Thanksgiving game halftime show in Dallas. 

She also has been in some famous movies such as 9 to 5, The best little *****house in Texas, and Steel Magnolias. Altogether, she has won 13 ACMs, 10 Grammys, and 9 CMAs. 

She was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1999.

Many of these accomplishments are well known, but the other sides of Dolly are not as highly publicized. 

In 1986, she opened a theme park named Dollywood in Tennessee that has been visited by millions of people across the world. 

Dollywood was created to enhance the economy of her native Sevier county and where people could celebrate and have fun. Dolly Parton had to pay $165 Million to pay for  the park. Dollywood brings in over $3 Million a year and the money is used for the county.  

Dolly Parton’s dad can’t read nor write due to the fact when he was younger, he wasn’t able to learn those things. This partially inspired her to create a children’s book company. She teamed up with Mackenzie Haley, an illustrator from Louisville, Kentucky. 

They create and mail free books to children from birth to five years old. The books include Ninja Club, Sleepover, Pegasisters go to Camp, and Snitchy Witch, among others. Parton does this in an effort to increase children literacy the world over. 

As of November 2023, Dolly’s childhood literacy program has gifted over 224 million books to children across the U.S., Canada, the U.K., Australia, and the Republic of Ireland.

Born January 19, 1946, Dolly is 78 years old. She is happily married to Carl Thomas Dean, with no children. 

There was a baby left at her doorstep and she took care of it until human services got there. She has a total of 11 siblings, Stella Wiladeebe, Rachel, Randy, Freida Estekke, Larry Gerald, Cassie Nan, David Willbourn, Floyd, Coy Denver, Robert Lee some of the following siblings have passed due to causes, there is a set of twins (Freida and Rachel.) Her parents are Avie Lee Owens and Robert Lee Parton. They are from Pittman Center, TN.

Parton has been a pioneer for women for decades and continues to be. She is so much more than just an entertainer; she is the highest quality of human being.

View Comments (1)