Poll

What was your favorite lunch this week?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

March Madness Basketball Tournament; see class president, Eric Card.
3x3 Basketball Tournament
March 6, 2024

March Madness 3 x 3 basketball tournament on March 15, starting at 4pm.  Contact your class president, Eric Card, or class officers for more...

Continue Reading
Stroudsburg High Schools promotional Flyer for the King of Hearts dance.
SENIORS! Prepare for King of Hearts and senior superlative voting
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • January 26, 2024

As the King of Heart's Dance draws near, take a look at the senior superlative and prepare to vote for your KOH nominees on Monday during homeroom! The...

Continue Reading
If you need tutoring, please join the Google Classroom so we can match you up with someone to help you. (Logo credit: NHS)
NHS Peer Tutoring
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • November 20, 2023

If you need tutoring, please join the Google Classroom so we can match you up with someone to help you. Please fill out the Google Form on Google...

Continue Reading
Stroudsburg walking off of the field during game against Emmaus on April 8, 2024.
Baseball loses heartbreaker to Pleasant Valley
Jaden Harper, Staff Writer • April 11, 2024

On Wednesday, Stroudsburg lost to Pleasant Valley High School, 9-8. This game was scoreless until the top of the third inning, where Pleasant Valley scored three runs against...

Continue Reading
Long distance coach, Coach Foti, talking to runner Janel Meyers.
Photo credit: Amir Lovell, 10.
Stroudsburg High School Track and Field
Georgie English, Staff Writer • April 9, 2024

Stroudsburg High School Varsity Track and Field competed for their first home meet at Ross Stulgaitis Stadium against Northampton High School Konkrete Kids on Wednesday, March...

Continue Reading
L-R (siting): Dominic Negron, Terrel Butler, Keshav Persaud, Jessie Smith, Mason Ulmer, Logan Casebolt. 
L-R (standing): Asst. Coach Yost, Darius Quintana, Will Puskar, Tobias Ricks, Jason, Pritchard, Josh Marosi, Coach Tapiro.  2024 Boys Tennis Team photo, courtesy of coaches Tapiro and Yost, used with permission.
Stroudsburg Boys' Tennis Update
Jaden Harper and Madison NoonanApril 8, 2024

Led by Coach Gene Tapiro and Assistant Coach Ceal Yost, the 2024 boys' tennis team is off to a strong start. The 2023 team graduated several varsity players but Will Puskar,...

Continue Reading
View All

The legacy of Rita Moreno

Celebrating Women’s History Month!
Isabella Rivera
Rita Moreno legend for for both female actress’ and the Hispanic community

Women in the arts have made great strides over the past century.

One of the most successful in the 50s was Rita Moreno.

Rita Moreno was born on December 11, 1931 in Humacao, Puerto Rico.

In her childhood, she was given the nickname “Rosita” when she was young.  Moreno’s birth name was Rosa Dolores Alverío.

She spent much of her childhood on a Puerto Rican farm until she was five years old. Her mother saved enough money for them to move to New York, but Moreno’s little brother Francisco had to be left behind in Puerto Rico.

Moreno’s legend made her more relatable to members of the Hispanic community than many of her fellow actresses.

She and her family came to New York during the Depression and to a very segregated part of the city at the time.

Rita Moreno always knew she wanted to be in movies. One of her first movies that took off in her career was “West Side Story” starring Natalie Wood and Richard Beymer. The Romeo and Juliet inspired love story of two star crossed lovers was reminiscent of the city Moreno grew up in.  

One of the main reasons why Rita Moreno is an important person is because she became the first Latina woman to have an “E.G.O.T.”, meaning she’s won an Emmy, a Grammy, an Oscar, and a Tony award. 

Moreno’s impact on society is that she advocated for racial and gender equality, childhood education, and immigrant families.

Women around her time weren’t always respected in the acting field; they were often seen as one-dimensional characters, damsels in distress, virtuous mothers, or seductive temptresses. Women were cast as stereotypes depending on their race.  They were also often paid less than men.

In the 19th century, women finally started gaining respect for acting.

The acting field has changed now women are getting the lead roles and not getting cast as stereotypes anymore. Rita Moreno has influenced the entertainment industry for over 70 years as an actress, singer, and dancer.

Every year, Variety celebrates the accomplishments of women in Hollywood and there were plenty of those again this year, even during a rare double strike that upended the entertainment industry for months. Moreno is now 96 years old and has her own documentary on Netflix called Just a Girl Who Decided to Go for It.