Best Buddies looks to include everybody and build friendships

Taylor Miller, Staff Writer

ai???Since 2009, Best Buddies has allowed students to look past the disability and see the person for who they really are,ai??? said co-adviser Ms. Sarah Arnold.

Best Buddies is a club that allows everyone to come together and work as a team, despite any disability. It teaches people to accept everyoneai??i??s differences.

ai???Disable the labelai??? is a phrase that this community encourages in order to ensure that all members feel included.

Co-adviser Ms. Sherri McIntyre introduced the club to the high school staff in January 2009. It initially started at the junior high, and was then brought over here to SHS and named Best Buddies. Since then, over 100 students have signed up for it every year.

ai???I love helping the kids,ai??? said sophomore Kassandra Larranaga, who has been in Best Buddies for the past two years. ai???Talking to them and getting to know them makes me happy.ai???

Throughout the year, the club goes to Morey Elementary and does activities with the children, and during holidays the students go caroling down Main Street. Following winter break, the students and staff start to prepare for the annual Best Buddies Variety Show and Special Olympics. The theme for this yearai??i??s show is ai???Inside Out.ai??i??

Best Buddies meets every first and third Thursday of the month from 2:30 to 4:00 p.m. in the cafeteria. 140 students have signed up this year, Ai??and about 50 make it to the meetings. They are currently looking for officers.