Delicious December: National Pastry Day, National Cupcake Day…

Nylah Safforld, Staff Writer

The holidays and all the food are just around the corner, so it should come as no surprise that certain days this month have been deemed delicious. Ai??December 9 was National Pastry Day and December 15 is National Cupcake Day.

For sweets lovers, National Pastry Day occurs once a year. It is a great day to stuff yourself with as many pastries as you can with a valid excuse.

There is no found evidence of who started National Pastry Day. However, it is believed that the Egyptians first made pastries. Soon after they created various pastries, they were brought over to Europe. The Europeans loved the delicious taste of the pastries: sweet and tart. From that point, pastries grew more and more popular. Over time, people have created more varieties of pastries. Ai??The possibilities seem endless.

But what is a pastry?Ai??

A pastry is usually made of dough and consists of tart fillings,cream and/or jam. These delicious treats are often served as light refreshments at parties and events. Ai??Adventurous bakers might want to consider creating their own masterpieces this holiday season.

There are many types of pastries/desserts including, but not limited to:

1. Cupcakes
  2. Brownies
  3. Pies
  4. Croissants
  5. Danishes
  6. Macaroons
  7. Strudels
  8. Cannolis
  9. Scones

Facts about specific pastries:

1. Macarons
  • They are meringue-based cookies with filling
  • Macaroons, similar to macarons, do not have filling
  • Very colorful
  1. Scones
  • Biscuit-like pastries
  • Usually served with tea
  • Sweet like cookies
  1. Strudels
  • Means whirlpool in Germany
  • Apple is a very common strudel flavor
  • They became popular in the 18th century
  1. Cannolis
  • Sicilian Pastry
  • Fried shell with sweet cream in the inside
  • Many variations and types of cannolis

Stroudsburg High School students shared their thoughts on National Pastry Day.

ai???When I hear National Pastry Day I think of mouth-watering goodness,ai??? said senior Emily Desantiago.

Junior Fambaye Fall also shared her input. This sweet celebration makes her think of Ai??ai???cinnamon rolls all day.ai???

Pastries are not only a tasty treat, but are great for any event! There is always a new pastry to try. On top of that, the flavorful sensation obtained from pastries makes people want to go back for more every time!

What can be better than being brought together by delicious sweet treats for everyone? Pastries are fairly easy to make depending on the recipe. Just give one a try.

Family and Consumer science teacher Ms. Lisa Voytko has been baking and cooking since she was ai???a little girl, or in middle school.ai??? When she hears someone mention National Pastry Day, she thinks of ai???a variety of pastries, but nothing specific.ai???

Students shared their ideas on which pastries are easiest and hardest to make.

ai???Cannolis are the hardest to make while donuts are the easiest, said senior Sadie Unangst.

ai???The easiest to make are brownies,ai??? said Fall. ai???You literally put in eggs, water, and oil, and then shove it in the oven.ai???

Relying on veteran experience, Voytko shared the following:ai???One of first things I made were cream puffs, so I would say cream puffs are the easiest to make.ai???

So now that students know that National Pastry day is celebrated this month, they should focus on creating scrumptious treats for family and friends over the break.

Below are the writerai??i??s Choice Recipes. Ai??If students have a favorite recipe, they are encouraged to share it by Ai??ai???Commentingai??? at the end of this story.

Lemon Cake Recipe by BakersDozen on allrecipes.com Ai??

Ingredients

• 2 A? cups of flour
  • 1 tablespoon of lemon zest
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • A? teaspoon of baking powder
  • A? teaspoon of baking soda
  • 1 cup of butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 A? cups white sugar
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
  • 1 cup of low-fat buttermilk

Directions:

• Preheat Oven to 350 degrees F
  • Whisk flour, lemon zest, salt, baking powder, and baking soda together in a bowl
  • Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl using an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat eggs and egg yolks, 1 at a time, into creamed butter mixture on low speed, beating well after each addition before adding the next. Beat lemon juice into butter mixture. Beat flour mixture, alternating with buttermilk, into butter mixture until batter is just combined. Divide batter between the prepared cake pans.
  • Bake in the preheated oven until cake pulls away from sides of pan, 32 to 35 minutes. Cool cakes in pans for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of pan and invert cake onto a wire rack to cool.

Scones by Food.com

Ingredients

• 2 1a?i??2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon of Ai??baking powder
  • 1a?i??2 teaspoon of salt
  • 8 tablespoons of cold unsalted butter
  • 1a?i??4 cup granulated sugar (use 1/3 for slightly sweeter scones)
  • 2a?i??3 cup milk

Directions

• Heat oven to 425Ai??FAi??
  • Put flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl; stir mix well Add butter and cut in with a pastry blender or rub in with your fingers, until the mixture looks like fine granules.
  • Add sugar; toss to mix.
  • Add milk and stir with a fork until dough forms.
  • Form dough into a ball and turn smooth side up.
  • Pat or roll into a 6 inch circle.
  • Cut each circle into 6 or 8 wedges.
  • Place wedges on an ungreased cookie sheet- slightly apart for crisp sides, touching for soft.
  • Sprinkle desired amount of cinnamon and sugar on each scone.
  • Bake about 12 minutes, or until medium brown on top.

Links to other pastry recipes:

http://www.marthastewart.com/1113097/classic-cream-puffs

http://www.a-kitchen-addiction.com/strawberries-and-cream-danishes/