Headphones are not a distraction to students in the halls

Steven Moran, Junior

Iai??i??ve only been in Stroudsburg for a few months, and I think itai??i??s a great school. The students and teachers are very nice and respectful, but I do think, however that the school can be improved. My biggest, and only issue with the school is some unnecessary rules that have been put into place. For example, a student can get detention for having a pair of headphones in when they are walking through the halls. In my opinion, having headphones in causes no immediate danger to the child wearing them and the people around them. I donai??i??t think itai??i??s fair to give a person detention because they might run into someone (which people do, even without headphones in). I grew up in New York, so Iai??i??m used to running into people every time I went outside and I’ve never seen anyone get hurt as a result of bumping shoulders with someone else.

12 Comments

12 Responses to “Headphones are not a distraction to students in the halls”

1. Dylan pontius on March 24th, 2017 12:22 PM

At first I didn’t understand the headphone rule they are enforcing but then I realized all the times I would see a teacher try and talk to a student about something and they wouldn’t hear them because of the headphones. It’s a safety hazard because we always listen to our music super loud and we can’t hear other people.

2. Daniella Wali on March 24th, 2017 12:22 PM

I agree, and sometimes you can get detention for just having them in your hand. The rule is ridiculous

3. Christion Johnson on March 24th, 2017 12:26 PM

I do agree. We should be able to use our headphones in hallways and before classes start. I can understand wanting to have people hear if they are called or if an alarm or warning of some type has been triggered but the punishments are a little too unforgiving. Even being seen walking out of a classroom with your headphones in or in the process of removeing them and pocketing your phone I have seen people have theirs taken. That and the detention withought any kind of warning for people such as myself who are used to have it them in while walking have to now check and double check so that they are nowhere to been seen. I’m all about premiering safety and the ability to listen out for direction given by security and teachers but there is a line as to where it is necessary be it discipline or personal freedom.

4. Hagan Schomberg on March 24th, 2017 12:26 PM

I also agree that wearing headphones should be allowed and that it does not cause any harm toward anyone around them. Listening to music is a way to relieve stress for some people and allow them to get through the day. As well as can help people study and can influence them in many ways that can improve there life.

5. Samantha Castillo on March 24th, 2017 12:26 PM

I personally don’t ever really use headphones in school but I absolutely agree with what you’re saying. I’ve never understood the problem with headphones in the hall and especially not in study halls.

6. Gabriel Bellinger on March 27th, 2017 7:59 AM

I believe the rule should be reviewed and changed to where you can have earphones in if your going/leaving the school

7. Nicholas Bergman on March 27th, 2017 8:02 AM

If someone chooses to listen to music between classes that should be allowed. There are rarely important messages in the halls and headphones wouldn’t be a distraction.

8. Daniel Varghese on March 27th, 2017 8:11 AM

I agree with the fact that headphones should be allowed in the hallways. For one it relieves stress, second when kids are walking in the school with music playing there is just a happier atmosphere. I personally do not use my headphones in the hallways, but for those kids that are just trying to relex for like 3-5 minutes, the teachers should just let them be. It’s only when you get in the actual classroom should you have to take the headphones out.

9. Abdul Jabri on March 27th, 2017 12:25 PM

I do understand where the school is coming from to not allowing headphones in hallway incase a student needs to hear something and that it is a safety hazard. But if a student doesn’t hear something they should still be able to see it. So I do disagree with students receiving detention for wearing headphones in the hallway.

10. Madisyn Fisher on March 27th, 2017 12:30 PM

I agree, I think that we should be allowed to have our headphones in while we are in the halls. If teachers are worried about not being heard they could make a rule to only have one ear bud in at once.

11. Michael Wright on March 29th, 2018 8:54 AM

I think headphones should be allowed because it keeps kids out of trouble because they will not be distracted and will get to class on time instead of being late and getting detentions for playing around with their friends in the hall way.

12. Jessica C on April 3rd, 2018 7:34 PM

I think that headphones should not be allowed in the hallways because students like to listen to there music very loud in the hallways and they cant hear anything and then if something happens bad happen in the hall way and a teacher is trying to tell that student to come hide like when we have a lock down or if there is a fire in the school and the alarm is ringing and the wont hear it because the music is so loud.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.