Photo via Pixabay under the Creative Commons License

1 in 5 adolescents suffer from a mental health disorder

Mental health programs in high schools provide meaningful support for students

Mental health concerns are becoming more and more prevalent among teenagers. Thus, the public schools are expected to play a more active role in helping with a student’s health and welfare.  How much are the schools doing?  And what are exactly are they doing to help?

This year, the guidance office has seen an increase in the number of students with mental health issues. Unfortunately, this year, the school board has cut one of the guidance counselors, as a result of budget cuts.

It is not unusual to have a classroom in which one out of five students has a mental illness. A study conducted by the Young People’s program revealed that 54% of people said that mental illness had an impact on their education. The study also revealed that 26% said that mental illness affected their job prospects. Half of the number of children with mental illnesses who suffer from anxiety in a social setting drop  out of high school.

The common disorders that students cope with in school are ADD/ADHD attention spectrum disorders, anxiety, depression, and mood disorders, according to Dr. Ramlah Vahanvaty, a pediatrician at Zahra Pediatrics, which is located in East Stroudsburg.

How do the teachers detect symptoms among teenagers, on symptoms of mental illness?

“Most teachers know the basic signs of mental illness,” said SHS nurse Ms. Jillian Haubrich “Withdrawal in activity, not taking care of one’s self, excessive weight gain or weight loss, and drastic change in behavior…”

However, Ms. Jean Dunback-Costanzi, who is both a guidance counselor and SAP (a support program at SHS) coordinator, readily admits that teachers are not trained- to detect mental illness among students. “Mental disorders affect the overall functioning of a child and it’s very important to address and treat it appropriately. Otherwise, it adversely affects their school life, their family life, their social life, and most of all, their own self-esteem and self-worth,” said Dr Vahanvaty.

If symptoms are identified and dealt with as soon as possible, students can avoid a lot of long-term suffering. Several studies show that students who use SBHCs (School Based Health Center) are twice as likely to stay in school as students who do not use SBHC’s.

So, what kind, if any, assistance programs has the SASD implemented to support students with mental health issues?

One program at SHS is called the Student Assistance Program (SAP). This program is sponsored by mental health, and drug/alcohol prevention programs. SAP is designed to assist students in drug and mental health issues that serve as a barrier to a student’s success.

However, SAP itself does not directly provide personal assistance to children in need. SAP identifies the children, and then-they refer them to mental health agencies, or drug and alcohol agencies.  A common mental health service that SAP refers students to is CMP (Carbon Monroe Pike Mental Health and Development Services), an agency that provides mental health and developmental services.

“It would be helpful if there are programs for teachers to better recognize signs of mental illness,” said Dunback-Costanzi. “Teachers cannot treat mental illness, they should refer the student to a counsellor, and then the counselor decides whether we should refer the student to a mental health agency,” she explained.

Haubrich also agrees that having mental health programs are essential in today’s society.

“A lot of stress is put on students, which leads to anxiety and depression. The more staff and administration are aware of mental illness, then the more we are able to help students in needs of assistance,” she added.

There are school districts that provide mental health programs, in and out of the county. These mental health programs have mental health workers that work as a full-time staff member, or who are contracted for part time services. Pocono Mountain West and East Stroudsburg South provide these mental health programs, along with CMP (Carbon Monroe Pike Mental Health and Development Services), for students who need necessary access to it.

“We as guidance counselors  believe that we should have at least a part-time mental health worker in the school,” said Dunback-Costanzi.

Studies and professionals agree on the benefits of providing students with mental health services to teenagers in today’s society. There should be support, services, programs, efforts, and awareness to promote the needs of mental health for teenagers in Stroudsburg, and for teenagers all across America.

Mountaineer • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

• M

Mahlik spencerMar 6, 2017 at 9:37 AM

I think that this should happen for the people that need it.

Reply
  • N

Noah GernerMar 6, 2017 at 8:09 AM

That is sad to hear

Reply
  • X

Xavier BensonMar 6, 2017 at 8:06 AM

Living with depression and anxiety is an actual nightmare.

Reply
  • M

Madisyn FisherMar 3, 2017 at 12:42 PM

I have been struggling with mental illness since a young age. I know how I used to be and how I used to act because of it. I have bi polar disorder, ADHD and anxiety and because of that at sometimes in my childhood I didn’t know what I was doing and why. I can safely say that because of the school system and the love and support of my family I am going to college in the fall to become a physician assistant and achieving my dreams. I think that the Stroudsburg teachers should have more training to detect symptoms of mental illness and have more support programs. Mental illness is becoming more common in today’s society but those individuals shouldn’t feel alone.

Reply
  • M

Mariella BarretoMar 3, 2017 at 12:40 PM

Teachers should be trained to know how to detect mental illnesses among students. Although some may know the basic signs what if a handful doesn’t? This is the stage in life in which teenagers go through dramatic changes in their life and they need the comfort from someone, to at least know that somebody cares.

Reply
  • K

Kyle AlbertMar 3, 2017 at 12:29 PM

I believe having a mental health worker would be very beneficial. Some kids go through hard times and it could help.

Reply
  • N

Nia SkeetMar 3, 2017 at 7:50 AM

Seeing as I have members of my family as well as close friends who’ve suffered with mental health issues, an alternative for teachers may be a good idea. Teachers should try to get involved with helping without being too overbearing as well. Truthfully, I would find it hard to confront a teacher or staff about a complex situation, but if I felt like they were genuinely trying to make an effort that may make it easier.

Reply
  • K

Kira DarlingtonMar 3, 2017 at 7:45 AM

Having a mental health worker in the school would definitely be a good thing. Teachers don’t know how to spot someone who has a disorder unless they’re told by parents or a counsellor or from the student themselves. I think to help kids out like this another good thing to do would be to stop making it “mandatory” to stand in front of the class and present something or read something as it can cause a lot of anxiety related problems.

Reply
  • J

Jasmine IppichMar 3, 2017 at 7:45 AM

I believe it would be beneficial to have a mental health worker in the school; especially since most of our time now is spent at school. Sometimes, it’s easier for people to open up to someone they don’t know over someone they do; because of this, people aren’t getting the help they need. School is stressful, but life is stressful in general. Issues that a person deals with outside of school can be brought inside, which effects academics as well. Even if a person comes into school and just needs to talk, knowing that there’s someone to vent to can be enough for some people.

Reply
  • A

Aaron WalkerMar 1, 2017 at 10:55 AM

I feel that having a mental health worker would be a good idea because kids in schools sometimes go through a lot of stress and having someone that could help them through it would be a great idea.

Reply
  • E

Eric SerbinMar 1, 2017 at 9:39 AM

It was an alright article but it would be nice if there were sources for the statistics in these articles

Reply
  • S

Sarah ReinhardtMar 1, 2017 at 9:30 AM

I agree!! There should definitely be a mental health worker in the school. This would make it easier to get help, especially for kids that aren’t able to talk to their parents, friends, etc. A lot of times, that anonymity makes people less afraid to speak.

Reply
  • C

Caileen DollardMar 1, 2017 at 7:23 AM

*anorexia not anexoria

Reply
  • J

Jasmine DeyMar 1, 2017 at 7:22 AM

Being a teenager is very stressful. The things that kids go through are deemed as insignificant because of our age and circumstances. We each fight our own battles each day and it is important to acknowledge those battles especially in schools where students spend a good amount of time.

Reply
  • A

Alex Hernandez??Mar 1, 2017 at 7:21 AM

Wavy ?

Reply
15