Photo via Lisa Rogers

Teacher Feature on Ms. Rogers

At which school in the district do you teach?

SHS.

What subject(s) do you teach?

10th Grade Orchestra, 11/12th Grade Orchestra, Beginning Piano Guitar class.

What grades do you teach?

10th, 11th, 12th.

How long have you been teaching at SASD?

I started teaching at the Tuna Can in March of 1997, then came to the HS in the Fall of 1998.

What is one important lesson you have learned as an educator? 

The most important lesson that I have learned as an educator is to make connections with your students! It doesn’t matter what you teach, if you do not make some sort of connection with your students, you are behind the eight ball right at the start! Students who know and feel that you care and are invested in them as people will work hard and rise to your expectations every time!

What is your favorite part about teaching? 

My favorite part about teaching is that I am always learning! Working with high school students keeps me on my toes, and I have to be open to learning from them if I am going to be effective at all at teaching them! The students have a lot to offer if you listen and really hear what they have to say. Also, they keep me young at heart!!

Why did you choose the subject that you teach? 

I chose to teach music because when I was in school, I had music teachers along the way that made me feel like I was worth more than I ever thought. They took the time to get to know me, pushed me to be better at every turn and guided me along my way to being a better person. I wanted to be that for other students because those people changed my life forever. I am continually thankful for the music educators I have met along my journey, both in public school, private lessons, and in my college years. They have given me opportunities that I never would have had if I had not been involved in music.

How and when did you know that teaching was what you wanted to do?

I knew when I was very young that I wanted to teach, but I was only ever good at music! I didn’t want to be any other teacher — Music was my freedom and I wanted to share that with everyone!

Mountaineer • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

• K

Kathleen DonovanDec 9, 2021 at 2:58 PM

Lisa Rogers is one of the finest people I know. I met her when she was in junior high school and attended Religious Education classes at Saint Joseph’s School in Easton.. We have kept a connection all through these years and I have been blessed with her love and presence in my life.
    Sr. Kathleen Donovan, OSF

Reply
1