Poll

This poll has ended.

What was your favorite lunch this week?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

March Madness Basketball Tournament; see class president, Eric Card.
3x3 Basketball Tournament
March 6, 2024

March Madness 3 x 3 basketball tournament on March 15, starting at 4pm.  Contact your class president, Eric Card, or class officers for more...

Continue Reading
Stroudsburg High Schools promotional Flyer for the King of Hearts dance.
SENIORS! Prepare for King of Hearts and senior superlative voting
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • January 26, 2024

As the King of Heart's Dance draws near, take a look at the senior superlative and prepare to vote for your KOH nominees on Monday during homeroom! The...

Continue Reading
If you need tutoring, please join the Google Classroom so we can match you up with someone to help you. (Logo credit: NHS)
NHS Peer Tutoring
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • November 20, 2023

If you need tutoring, please join the Google Classroom so we can match you up with someone to help you. Please fill out the Google Form on Google...

Continue Reading
Girls Varsity Basketball, 2023
How does an athlete balance academic demands with sports?
Morgan Tucker, Staff Writer • May 9, 2024

Ella Henritzy, 12, has been a standout athlete this year. Henritzy turned heads on the basketball court as a power forward. Now, she is stacking points for track and field...

Continue Reading
Stroudsburg infielders Anthony Knight and Alex Pacitti during game vs Emmaus High School
Baseball clinches playoff berth
Jaden Harper, Staff Writer • May 9, 2024

On May 8, Stroudsburg defeated Pocono Mountain West, 9-2. This victory for the Mountaineers clinched their first playoff berth since 2022. The win also marked the Mountaineers...

Continue Reading
Stroudsburgs stand out track athletes
Stroudsburg's stand out track athletes
Morgan Tucker, Georgie English, and Madi NoonanMay 7, 2024

Continue Reading
View All

Pennsylvania adds a new mandatory business course for students

SHS teacher pioneers the “personal finance” curriculum
Haggerty+teaches+personal+finance+essentials+to+students+about+to+embark+on+adult+responsibilities+like+loans+and+taxes.+
Cami Trauschke
Haggerty teaches personal finance essentials to students about to embark on adult responsibilities like loans and taxes.

Have you ever wondered how you’re going to repay school loans after you graduate college? or how you’ll buy your first home? or apply for a loan?

There has been a high demand for a required class that teaches students very useful money matters they’ll likely need in the future.

Personal Finance is an important class for the youth. Many students choose this elective to gain an edge in their future finances and investments.

For the past 8 years, Personal Finance, an elective class taught by Jodie Haggerty at Stroudsburg High School, has been instructing students on taxes,  credit cards, and loan applications.

“I think this material will save many students from going into debt in their future years and help them to use credit to their advantage,” Haggerty states.

The class is currently a half-year course students can decide to take when scheduling for the following year. Though students voluntarily choose to take the course, for years state leaders have debated whether this type of course should be required for high school students.

As of December 2023, Pennsylvania decided to make a finance course mandatory for all students, according to ABC. This rule will fall in place starting the school year of 2026-2027. The exact curriculum of the class has not yet been decided, but it will likely be similar to the current class already being taught by Haggerty.

The current class covers multiple topics crucial to a student’s future, yet is often overlooked. Haggerty teaches students how to file a tax return, how to apply for financial aid, how to evaluate a credit card interest, and how to better manage money, and much more.

Personal Finance covers so many important aspects of finances that can impact students now, while in high school, and in the adult years to come.”

— Jodie Haggerty

The average student debt for PA is $112,500 per student, according to Lantern. Personal Finance goes over how to apply for FAFSA, applying for grants, loans, and scholarships.

“I don’t think anyone is truly prepared to understand debt because we are sheltered from it. We may understand, but not the implications as an adult and how much it affects us in the future course of our life,” says English teacher Mr. Andrew Kurnas.

Ultimately, the Personal Finance class offers many new tools to students. In doing so, financially smarter students can have better peace of mind. In addition, savvy students become more independent with greater opportunity and less debt.