Day of Silence recognized again at SHS

Gabrielle Buchanan, Staff Writer

Some people around the world face violence because of who they love, how they look, or who they are. Unfortunately, sexual orientation and gender identity sometimes lead to discrimination or abuse.

The Day of Silence was created by Maria Pulzetti in 1996. Maria was an 18-year old University of Virginia student. She created the National Day of Silence, a nine hour stoppage on speaking.  She wanted to do something that would impact her peers while raising the visibility of bisexual, gay and lesbian awareness.

GLSEN, which stands for the Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network, is the leading national education organization working to create safe schools for all students”, states GLSEN.org.

SHS has been participating in the Day of Silence movement since 2011, and it was started by the diversity council. Jennenia Valencia who graduated in 2013 was an SHS student in the diversity council who believed the Day of Silence would be a great addition to SHS.

“Over the past years, the number of students that participate in The Day of Silence has been lower,” said diversity council adviser Shari Griswold. “I believe that is because of the decrease of bullying of the LGBTQ+ community in our schools.”

The Day of Silence is in all 50 states, District of Columbia, New Zealand, Singapore, and Russia. More than 10,000 students register for the Day of Silence with GLSEN every year.

“We have never had a problem with LGBTQ+ students going to prom or any school events together, but it is not as easy for other schools, so I am so thankful for the loving school we have,” said Griswold.

See the Day of Silence video below!