Poll

What was your favorite lunch this week?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

March Madness Basketball Tournament; see class president, Eric Card.
3x3 Basketball Tournament
March 6, 2024

March Madness 3 x 3 basketball tournament on March 15, starting at 4pm.  Contact your class president, Eric Card, or class officers for more...

Continue Reading
Stroudsburg High Schools promotional Flyer for the King of Hearts dance.
SENIORS! Prepare for King of Hearts and senior superlative voting
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • January 26, 2024

As the King of Heart's Dance draws near, take a look at the senior superlative and prepare to vote for your KOH nominees on Monday during homeroom! The...

Continue Reading
If you need tutoring, please join the Google Classroom so we can match you up with someone to help you. (Logo credit: NHS)
NHS Peer Tutoring
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • November 20, 2023

If you need tutoring, please join the Google Classroom so we can match you up with someone to help you. Please fill out the Google Form on Google...

Continue Reading
Stroudsburg walking off of the field during game against Emmaus on April 8, 2024.
Baseball loses heartbreaker to Pleasant Valley
Jaden Harper, Staff Writer • April 11, 2024

On Wednesday, Stroudsburg lost to Pleasant Valley High School, 9-8. This game was scoreless until the top of the third inning, where Pleasant Valley scored three runs against...

Continue Reading
Long distance coach, Coach Foti, talking to runner Janel Meyers.
Photo credit: Amir Lovell, 10.
Stroudsburg High School Track and Field
Georgie English, Staff Writer • April 9, 2024

Stroudsburg High School Varsity Track and Field competed for their first home meet at Ross Stulgaitis Stadium against Northampton High School Konkrete Kids on Wednesday, March...

Continue Reading
L-R (siting): Dominic Negron, Terrel Butler, Keshav Persaud, Jessie Smith, Mason Ulmer, Logan Casebolt. 
L-R (standing): Asst. Coach Yost, Darius Quintana, Will Puskar, Tobias Ricks, Jason, Pritchard, Josh Marosi, Coach Tapiro.  2024 Boys Tennis Team photo, courtesy of coaches Tapiro and Yost, used with permission.
Stroudsburg Boys' Tennis Update
Jaden Harper and Madison NoonanApril 8, 2024

Led by Coach Gene Tapiro and Assistant Coach Ceal Yost, the 2024 boys' tennis team is off to a strong start. The 2023 team graduated several varsity players but Will Puskar,...

Continue Reading
View All

Amelia Earhart’s legacy resurfaces

Ethan Custard
A model plane soaring through the skies

Amelia Earhart, the first woman to cross the Atlantic Ocean, in her famous red Lockheed Model 10-E Electra plane, is known throughout the world. In her life, Earhart soared like a crimson comet through the sky. However, tragically, just as a comet appears and disappears in the sky, so does she. 

On her most daring voyage, to circle the world, she took off, never to land again. Possible answers and conspiracies surrounding her death are in no short supply, some as wild as being stranded on a remote island and being eaten by coconut crabs or being captured by the Japanese.

What exactly happened is still questioned to this day, though a shocking discovery may help unravel this legendary mystery.

After making it 22,000 of the 29,000 miles to fly around the Earth, Earhart, along with her co-pilot, Fred Noonan, departed for Howland Island. 

On the trek, Earhart kept radio contact with a US ship named Itasca. Earhart radioed as they neared the island, saying they were low on fuel. Soon after she reported what would be her final words, “We are running north and south.”

Search parties were formed yet came back empty-handed and the trail on Earhart’s whereabouts went cold. Until now, that is. New evidence brings an exciting lead in this case that has been left unsolved for over 80 years. 

According to the Washington Post, a company known as Deep Sea Vision claims to have discovered the wreckage of Earhart’s plane. The evidence is not solid quite yet as Deep Sea Vision has only “captured a sonar image of a plane that matches the dimensions of the Lockheed Electra aircraft Earhart was flying on July 2, 1937.”

Deep Sea Vision plans more excursions to the sea floor to capture more photos in hopes of confirming their discovery. Ultimately, the goal would be to recover the aircraft if it is still sturdy enough after all these years submerged.

Amelia Earhart is an inspiration that has left her mark on the world forever.”

— Ben Domanski, 12

“I really hope it is her actual plane,” said Mikaela Lipitz, 10. Getting an answer to her disappearance may bring the focus back to Earhart’s achievements, instead of her death.

“Earhart inspired and still inspires courage and girl power,” said Lipitz. In the realm of aviation, she was extremely progressive for female pilots. She helped found the Ninety-Nines, an aviation association for female pilots Earhart pushed women to go against social norms and spread their wings and fly.

Modern airplane getting ready to take off, credit: Steven Blannard, 12.

“By being the first woman to fly across the Atlantic Ocean solo, she showed what women are capable of,” said Lipitz. 

Earhart has become a household name due to her feats and for her undying spirit she deserves to be celebrated.

“She is by far the most famous female pilot, said Ben Domanski, 12. “She inspired many and it is great her memory lives on so she has the chance to inspire more even after she is gone.”

Amelia Earhart will live on in the history books and the hearts of many. Hopefully, with Deep Sea Vision’s discovery of Earhart’s plane, the mystery of her disappearance may finally start to clear up. 

View Comments (1)