Poll

What was your favorite lunch this week?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

March Madness Basketball Tournament; see class president, Eric Card.
3x3 Basketball Tournament
March 6, 2024

March Madness 3 x 3 basketball tournament on March 15, starting at 4pm.  Contact your class president, Eric Card, or class officers for more...

Continue Reading
Stroudsburg High Schools promotional Flyer for the King of Hearts dance.
SENIORS! Prepare for King of Hearts and senior superlative voting
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • January 26, 2024

As the King of Heart's Dance draws near, take a look at the senior superlative and prepare to vote for your KOH nominees on Monday during homeroom! The...

Continue Reading
If you need tutoring, please join the Google Classroom so we can match you up with someone to help you. (Logo credit: NHS)
NHS Peer Tutoring
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • November 20, 2023

If you need tutoring, please join the Google Classroom so we can match you up with someone to help you. Please fill out the Google Form on Google...

Continue Reading
Stroudsburg walking off of the field during game against Emmaus on April 8, 2024.
Baseball loses heartbreaker to Pleasant Valley
Jaden Harper, Staff Writer • April 11, 2024

On Wednesday, Stroudsburg lost to Pleasant Valley High School, 9-8. This game was scoreless until the top of the third inning, where Pleasant Valley scored three runs against...

Continue Reading
Long distance coach, Coach Foti, talking to runner Janel Meyers.
Photo credit: Amir Lovell, 10.
Stroudsburg High School Track and Field
Georgie English, Staff Writer • April 9, 2024

Stroudsburg High School Varsity Track and Field competed for their first home meet at Ross Stulgaitis Stadium against Northampton High School Konkrete Kids on Wednesday, March...

Continue Reading
L-R (siting): Dominic Negron, Terrel Butler, Keshav Persaud, Jessie Smith, Mason Ulmer, Logan Casebolt. 
L-R (standing): Asst. Coach Yost, Darius Quintana, Will Puskar, Tobias Ricks, Jason, Pritchard, Josh Marosi, Coach Tapiro.  2024 Boys Tennis Team photo, courtesy of coaches Tapiro and Yost, used with permission.
Stroudsburg Boys' Tennis Update
Jaden Harper and Madison NoonanApril 8, 2024

Led by Coach Gene Tapiro and Assistant Coach Ceal Yost, the 2024 boys' tennis team is off to a strong start. The 2023 team graduated several varsity players but Will Puskar,...

Continue Reading
View All

Musicians’ legacies live on in film

Alexis Binikos
Cinemark board displays movies in theaters and their showtimes for customers.

The production of movies focusing on the lives of famous musicians has skyrocketed in recent years.

These films, known in Hollywood as music biopics, focus on musicians who were household names during their distinctive decades. 

The 1997 film, “Selena,” focuses on Selena Quintanilla’s rise to fame, and her relationships with her family, and briefly touches on the singer’s tragic death. By focusing on her personal life, Hollywood gives the audience a look at the person behind the voice.

As the 21st century rolled in, Hollywood continued bringing musicians’ personal lives to the silver screen with the release of “Bohemian Rhapsody” (2018), “Elvis” (2022), and “I Wanna Dance with Somebody” (2022).

But what makes these films so entertaining to the audience? These films aim to preserve the history that influenced the music. Film creators work to shed light on the origins of what makes a specific musician special by taking a popular artist and displaying their struggles to a major audience. 

“I don’t think these directors aim to make them more popular, it was just an attempt to tell their stories,” explains Jackson Fleming, 12. “Come thirty years from now, new generations won’t know who Elvis or Queen was, so by making movies about them, you’re giving the generation a window into what the times were like.”

These films not only provide insight into the artist’s history but offer a glimpse into the historical events of the time. In the long term, these biopics will allow future generations to understand the musical influences of those who came before. 

“I watched ‘Walk the Line,’ which was about Johnny Cash,” says Ms. Janice Lee, the high school choir teacher. “I wasn’t a Johnny Cash fan, but the movie made me appreciate him more.”

“I think Billy Joel needs a biopic and it needs to be called, Piano Man.”

— Jackson Fleming

The movie industry will continue to bring famous performers to theaters. On Valentine’s Day of 2024, a music biopic titled, “Bob Marley: One Love” was released into theaters. From Madonna and Eddie Murphy, Hollywood is continuing its trend of producing musical biopics.