Poll

What was your favorite lunch this week?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

March Madness Basketball Tournament; see class president, Eric Card.
3x3 Basketball Tournament
March 6, 2024

March Madness 3 x 3 basketball tournament on March 15, starting at 4pm.  Contact your class president, Eric Card, or class officers for more...

Continue Reading
Stroudsburg High Schools promotional Flyer for the King of Hearts dance.
SENIORS! Prepare for King of Hearts and senior superlative voting
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • January 26, 2024

As the King of Heart's Dance draws near, take a look at the senior superlative and prepare to vote for your KOH nominees on Monday during homeroom! The...

Continue Reading
If you need tutoring, please join the Google Classroom so we can match you up with someone to help you. (Logo credit: NHS)
NHS Peer Tutoring
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • November 20, 2023

If you need tutoring, please join the Google Classroom so we can match you up with someone to help you. Please fill out the Google Form on Google...

Continue Reading
Stroudsburg walking off of the field during game against Emmaus on April 8, 2024.
Baseball loses heartbreaker to Pleasant Valley
Jaden Harper, Staff Writer • April 11, 2024

On Wednesday, Stroudsburg lost to Pleasant Valley High School, 9-8. This game was scoreless until the top of the third inning, where Pleasant Valley scored three runs against...

Continue Reading
Long distance coach, Coach Foti, talking to runner Janel Meyers.
Photo credit: Amir Lovell, 10.
Stroudsburg High School Track and Field
Georgie English, Staff Writer • April 9, 2024

Stroudsburg High School Varsity Track and Field competed for their first home meet at Ross Stulgaitis Stadium against Northampton High School Konkrete Kids on Wednesday, March...

Continue Reading
L-R (siting): Dominic Negron, Terrel Butler, Keshav Persaud, Jessie Smith, Mason Ulmer, Logan Casebolt. 
L-R (standing): Asst. Coach Yost, Darius Quintana, Will Puskar, Tobias Ricks, Jason, Pritchard, Josh Marosi, Coach Tapiro.  2024 Boys Tennis Team photo, courtesy of coaches Tapiro and Yost, used with permission.
Stroudsburg Boys' Tennis Update
Jaden Harper and Madison NoonanApril 8, 2024

Led by Coach Gene Tapiro and Assistant Coach Ceal Yost, the 2024 boys' tennis team is off to a strong start. The 2023 team graduated several varsity players but Will Puskar,...

Continue Reading
View All

Taylor Swift’s private jet usage raises environmental concerns

Cami Trauschke
Taylor Swift in her private jet flying around Stroudsburg High School

The media has been in turmoil over Taylor Swift’s excessive use of her private jet.

The internet is split on the debate of whether or not she is taking advantage of her jet. There has been concern about whether her use of her jet is in the planet’s best interest. 

According to Carbon Market Watch, Swift produced 8,300 tons of carbon emissions in 2022, which is 1,800 times more than the average person makes in a lifetime. Global warming has been coming up in the news for the past few years as a recurring issue and private jets are a big contributor. Fossil fuels are the biggest problem causing climate change.

It is important to take into consideration Swift’s popularity and fame. Almost every person has heard at least one or two of her songs, regardless of whether they like her music or not. 

According to Forbes, she is the first artist to be named the top star four times. Success as an artist can be seen as a valid reason for her usage of jets. With fame comes danger from stalkers and others who wish her harm. Compared to the common person, Swift’s private jets arguably contribute to her safety.

The media has had a mixture of responses to Swift’s contribution to waste. Some TikTok users have made jokes while others have heavily criticized her. There are a lot of jokes surrounding her 13-minute flight that was only 28 miles, according to Newsweek

Swift has taken more than twelve trips on her private jet in the past three months to see her boyfriend, NFL football player, Travis Kelce, according to Harper’s Bazaar. This alone is already a terrible contribution to the greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere in just three months. One can only imagine what her carbon footprint will be in the span of her life. 

She needs to calm down. She’s foolish for being so fearless regarding fossil fuel consumption.”

— Elijah Kerprich, 12

Swift has not openly responded to the criticism of her private jets. However, according to Daily Mail, her legal team has gone public in an attempt to sue college student, Jack Sweeney, for tracking her flight mileage. Sweeney has tracked other celebrity jets, such as Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos without legal repercussions. 

Swift’s legal team argues that her safety is at risk by publicizing the tracking information. Sweeney’s lawyers say, “Our client’s website only provides the location of private jets using publicly available information. That information poses no threat to Ms. Swift’s safety.” 

Social studies teacher, Ms. Melissa Haubrich says, “I feel that she could make better decisions regarding her traveling but in certain instances, it is required for her tours to entertain worldwide. She’s always going to have a bigger carbon footprint because of her line of work.” 

At the moment, Swift’s carbon footprint doesn’t seem like it is going to improve anytime soon. It is unclear if Swift will address this topic in the news. For now, she seems to keep producing her albums and performing her shows regardless of the backlash she is receiving.