Walking Bridge coming soon on SHS campus

Daniel Burden, Staff Writer

Have you ever thought about walking or biking to school? For students who live on or near Main Street, these options are realistic. Ai??But for many others who live north of SHS, they would literally have to wade across the Pocono Creek. Ai??Ai??

Not any more. Ai??This spring (2018), a walking bridge will connect Knights Park to the back the SHS campus. Ai??

The proposed bridge will be built behind the school districtai??i??s bus facility, crossing the Pocono creek to Knights Park. The Pocono Creek is the creek that runs behind the SHS campus, and Knights Park is part of Stroud Region Open Space Open Space park system.Ai??

This project was proposed by and under the leadership of Stroud Township and Stroud Region Open Space & Recreation Commission. Together these groups have partnered with the Stroudsburg Area School District to bring the bridge to fruition. With the plans completed and secured permits for construction, Stroudsburg area residents can expect to see bulldozers breaking ground as early as this fall.

The proposed walking bridge will benefit the community in many ways, according to Ms. Sherry Acevedo,Ai??Executive Director of Stroud Region Open Space & Recreation Commission.

ai???The bridge benefits the community and the school district by allowing a safe access route to school,” Acevedo explained. “In addition, band camp and other school programs can utilize the bridge to gain access to Knights Park.”

There are other benefits to a bridge in this location. Ai??Students will be able to walk to Retro Fitness, Stroud Mall, as well as other businesses, restaurants, and residences along Route 611.

For hikers, bikers, and other outdoor enthusiasts, the walking bridge will help connect the Stroud Greenway trail system, which continues to expand. Ai??A greenway is a strip of undeveloped land near an urban area, set aside for recreational use or environmental protection.

So, this spring, provided the construction is on schedule, SHS students should be able to leave school at the end of the day, put one foot in front of the other and start walkinai??i?? ai???cross the bridge!