National Honor Society to host Fall Fest on October 28

Sean Pickett, Staff Writer

National Honor Society (NHS) is planning for a Fall Fest for younger kids on October 28 from 1:00-3:00.Ai?? Activities include free pumpkin painting, arts & crafts, fun yard games, a costume contest, and much more.

NHS is an invitational club, which means that students must submit an application. Ai??The application process for NHS is more in-depth than other clubs and begins at the end of the first marking period of every school year. During the process, adviser Ms. Theresa Onody reviews the Grade Point Average (GPA) of every student in 10th or 11th grade. If students have a GPA of 3.4 or greater, they will receive an application in the mail during the third marking period.

NHS provides scholarship and volunteer opportunities to its members. The members are dedicated to service in the school and in the greater school community.

One quality that makes NHS special is that the organization is always open to new ideas from all SHS students — not just from members of the club.

Grades alone do not guarantee acceptance into NHS. The application itself requires applicants to fill out volunteer experience, leadership experience, and to write an essay based on a prompt. They must also submit a recommendation from someone (a non-family member) who they have known for several years. Applications are due by a set deadline which is specified on the application.

Gaining acceptance into NHS is a very competitive process.Ai?? The truth is that space is limited, and students should not get discouraged if they aren’t invited to join.

Onody encourages students who do not make it.Ai?? “It does not speak to you as a person,” she said.Ai??Ai??

When it comes to service within the high school,Ai?? NHS hosts two blood drives per school year — one in the winter and another in the spring. The next blood drive is December 7 at the high school.Ai?? They also hostAi??a college fair every spring for all SHS students. The event is usually held in the gym lobby.

ai???We all have the potential to help other people,ai??? said NHS president Rachael Bucci. She can be contacted along with adviser Ms. Onody with any ideas or suggestions for NHS.