Homecoming 2019: SHS football team runs all over Dieruff

The Homecoming queen crowned, and the Marching Band puts on a special performance

Amber Kishbaugh

SHS football players at one of their daily games

Samuel Watanabe, Staff Writer

On Friday, the SHS football team met up with Dieruff at home for the annual Homecoming game. The result? A victory for Stroudsburg 28-13.  The Mountaineers were led by running back Dimitri Rojas, a junior, who tallied three rushing touchdowns.

Prior to the game, the classes of 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023 competed in a contest to see who could create the most spectacular Homecoming float.

The day started with the Homecoming float competition. The senior class chose High School Musical, the junior class chose Harry Potter, the sophomore class chose Willy Wonka, and the freshman class chose Teen Beach Movie. Below, view the photo gallery of the floats.

In the game, SHS opened up with a rushing touchdown by Dimitri Rojas and the trend continued as Rojas dominated the field collecting three rushing touchdowns and a 200+ yard rushing game. Quarterback Ethan Sodl, a sophomore, aided the effort with a late-game touchdown pass to senior wide receiver Amir Bryant, who hauled it in down the sideline for 37 yards. Senior kicker Leo Sattamini also tallied four extra points for a perfect day.

“The line blocked well, the receivers blocked great as well,” said Sodl. “Dimitri had room to do his thing and we executed on all runs. There’s a lot of room to improve, but we are getting there,” he added.

During halftime, the Marching Band performed as they announced the winning order of the float competition.

1. Seniors
  2. Juniors
  3. Freshman
  4. Sophomores

In addition to the Marching Band, the Homecoming nominees came out on golf karts to the middle of the field where it was revealed that senior Avery Francis was named the 2019 Homecoming queen!

Please view the photo galley below to see just what this exciting day looked like!