Model Congress introduces students to the political process

Cole Manetta-DeHaven, Staff Writer

If you are interested in learning about the billing and policy process that our country is known for then this club is for you. The whole goal of this school-wide known club is to model the UN congress. The main things that Model Congress is known for are creating bills and policies as our own congress does.

This year’s officers are president, Brianna Mollova, vice president Andrew Eberz, and treasurer, Luka Konklin. The positions of secretary and freshman representative have yet to be filled.

Mr. Matt Haggarty and Mr. Pete Vernon are advisers for the club.

The club is preparing for a big conference, which will be held at SHS on November 15 and 16.

Students will have an opportunity to improve their communication skills.

“It’s a very social club,” said Eberz. “It’s also a great club to learn communication in front of crowds.”

Haggarty explained what would make people gravitate toward Model Congress.

“If students enjoy paying attention to current events on a local, state, national or international level, and debate around those topics, Model UN/Congress is a club for them.”

Haggerty also mentioned one of the bigger events that the club promotes.

“Stroudsburg Model Congress is an event run at the high school by the club for the 8th-grade students to get a chance to experience what the club does and see if they would want to join in ninth grade. For the high school members, Harvard model Congress in February.”

Model Congress usually meets on Wednesdays at 2:30 in Mr. Tom Kurnas’s room at SHS.

This club is open to grades 9-12. For more information, join the club’s Google Classroom: hoeprej.