Poll

Would you rather live 100 years in the past or 100 years in the future?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Stroudsburg High Schools promotional Flyer for the King of Hearts dance.
SENIORS! Prepare for King of Hearts and senior superlative voting
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • January 26, 2024

As the King of Heart's Dance draws near, take a look at the senior superlative and prepare to vote for your KOH nominees on Monday during homeroom! The...

Continue Reading
If you need tutoring, please join the Google Classroom so we can match you up with someone to help you. (Logo credit: NHS)
NHS Peer Tutoring
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • November 20, 2023

If you need tutoring, please join the Google Classroom so we can match you up with someone to help you. Please fill out the Google Form on Google...

Continue Reading
Poetry Out Loud Contest gives out a prize of $20,000 to the winner! (Logo credit: Poetry Out Loud)
Poetry Out Loud Contest
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • November 16, 2023

Check out Poetry Out Loud, see Ms. Griswold, room C125 to get more information.

Continue Reading
Denzel Key, 12, at the free throw line during Stroudsburgs 58-41 win over Dieruff on December 22nd, 2023. 
Photo taken by Danielle Ramstine.
Stroudsburg one win away from State Tournament
Jaden Harper, Staff Writer • February 29, 2024

Stroudsburg fell to Parkland High School, 50-38, in the District 11 semifinals Wednesday night at William Allen High School in Allentown, PA. Micaiah 'Meeks' Brown, 12,...

Continue Reading
Anna Kirby poses for a picture after beating her second record of the season.
Anna Kirby breaks a second school record for the season
Georgie English, Staff writer • February 27, 2024

Then, just last week, Kirby broke another record at The Last Chance swim meet on Saturday, Feb. 17, "Kirby break school record".  Kirby set the record for...

Continue Reading
Jacob Bajek, 11, takes on competitors at EPC competition on February 8th, 2024.
Chess team rallies at 2024 EPC Competition
Jaden Harper, Staff Writer • February 26, 2024

The Stroudsburg chess team sent its varsity roster to the Chess Eastern Pennslyvania Conference (EPC) competition on Thursday, Feb. 8. The team's varsity roster consists of...

Continue Reading
View All

Cosmetology Student Gets Ahead of The Game

This is senior cosmetology student, Bryannah Zimmerman working on her next project.

MCTI students work hard all year, balancing their core classes and the projects they work on at the institute.

Bryannah Zimmerman, 12, a cosmetology student, is already steps ahead of her peers by utilizing the dual enrollment and Co-Op option offered at the high school. She earned her cosmetology license as a junior and is now in the process of applying for the National Technical Honor Society.

Zimmerman has been completing her dual enrollment with East Stroudsburg University. After completing her application to their July program, she was accepted into the college and received their Merritt Scholarship. She’s planning to major in Secondary Education/English and ESU’s program offers her many benefits, including being able to be close to her home and family.

Bryannah plans to earn her Secondary Education/English degree while working in the salon. Having the degree will give her a backup plan to fall back on and will give her options for after college.

Along with her schoolwork, Zimmerman is working at The Bob Salon located on West Main Street. The salon is owned by Katherine Spiegel and Kelly Schouppe.

“I’ve been working there part-time for about a year and a half now,” said Zimmerman. “As a cosmetology student, it is impossible for you to learn everything in the field in only four years of education, and they are allowing me to assist them with their daily tasks and appointments and are teaching me new ways of working in a salon environment weekly.” 

With a multi-task learning approach, certain struggles might arise. Time management and self discipline are essential.

“If I’m going to be honest, I didn’t underestimate the amount of time needed for each of these activities, but I wouldn’t change it,” explained Zimmerman. “Between high school, college, advanced classes, and relationships, it’s hard to separate my time between them all, but it’s a great way for me to learn how to prioritize my time and to work harder for my goals.”

Since she is so far ahead in the game, Zimmerman is bound to have some benefits up her sleeve. Most MCTI students are already ahead of their classmates with job placement opportunities after graduation. However, Bryannah’s situation is even better. To earn a cosmetology license and a certificate from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), you would need to achieve over 1,200 hours of training. 

“Most students don’t receive this till their senior year or after, which could cause employers to overlook them,” says Bryanna Zimmerman, 12. “But since I already have both Osha certification and a cosmetology license, I already have a foot in the door.”

View Comments (1)