Poll

Would you rather live 100 years in the past or 100 years in the future?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Stroudsburg High Schools promotional Flyer for the King of Hearts dance.
SENIORS! Prepare for King of Hearts and senior superlative voting
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • January 26, 2024

As the King of Heart's Dance draws near, take a look at the senior superlative and prepare to vote for your KOH nominees on Monday during homeroom! The...

Continue Reading
If you need tutoring, please join the Google Classroom so we can match you up with someone to help you. (Logo credit: NHS)
NHS Peer Tutoring
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • November 20, 2023

If you need tutoring, please join the Google Classroom so we can match you up with someone to help you. Please fill out the Google Form on Google...

Continue Reading
Poetry Out Loud Contest gives out a prize of $20,000 to the winner! (Logo credit: Poetry Out Loud)
Poetry Out Loud Contest
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • November 16, 2023

Check out Poetry Out Loud, see Ms. Griswold, room C125 to get more information.

Continue Reading
Denzel Key, 12, at the free throw line during Stroudsburgs 58-41 win over Dieruff on December 22nd, 2023. 
Photo taken by Danielle Ramstine.
Stroudsburg one win away from State Tournament
Jaden Harper, Staff Writer • February 29, 2024

Stroudsburg fell to Parkland High School, 50-38, in the District 11 semifinals Wednesday night at William Allen High School in Allentown, PA. Micaiah 'Meeks' Brown, 12,...

Continue Reading
Anna Kirby poses for a picture after beating her second record of the season.
Anna Kirby breaks a second school record for the season
Georgie English, Staff writer • February 27, 2024

Then, just last week, Kirby broke another record at The Last Chance swim meet on Saturday, Feb. 17, "Kirby break school record".  Kirby set the record for...

Continue Reading
Jacob Bajek, 11, takes on competitors at EPC competition on February 8th, 2024.
Chess team rallies at 2024 EPC Competition
Jaden Harper, Staff Writer • February 26, 2024

The Stroudsburg chess team sent its varsity roster to the Chess Eastern Pennslyvania Conference (EPC) competition on Thursday, Feb. 8. The team's varsity roster consists of...

Continue Reading
View All

Two fires occur at SHS, a month apart

Fire+Department+outside+Stroudsburg+High+School%2C+Jan+16%2C+2024+after+second+fire+within+a+month.+Credits%3A+Stroud+Fire+Departments+Facebook.+
Stroud Fire Department
Fire Department outside Stroudsburg High School, Jan 16, 2024 after second fire within a month. Credits: Stroud Fire Department’s Facebook.

On Jan 16, 2024, a month after Stroudsburg High School was evacuated due to a fire in the Boys’ Bathroom, firetrucks were dispersed again to SHS. 

According to the Stroudsburg Fire Department’s Facebook page, SHS had a contained fire within a heating unit on the second floor of the building. On the scene were both Stroud Township and East Stroudsburg Fire Departments. 

The fire department was notified due to the automatic fire alarm in the building. Upon entering the building, smoke led the fire officials to the second floor. 

It was then determined that the fire was contained to the heating unit and they began to ventilate the building. After inspection, the Stroudsburg Area School District’s maintenance department will take over repairs.

The hallway fills with smoke as fire officials find the source of the fire. Credits: Stroud Fire Department’s Facebook.

Luckily, no students were in the building due to weather conditions, and only minor damages were sustained to the building.

“I’m thankful no one was hurt in either incident,” says Jackson Fleming, 12.

Around 4 P.M., Mr. Jeffery Sodl sent an email out to students about the incident, ensuring students that the building was “all clear to occupy” for school the next day.

Sodl also confirmed that this fire had nothing to do with the fire that occurred a month prior on Dec 15, 2023.

“Im so glad we didn’t have to come to school, even after the last fire we would’ve been so unprepared”, says Zoe-Marie Brown, 12.

“It’s crazy how I have gone almost all of high school without a real fire, and then in senior year, there’s two in a month,” says Fleming.

Many think that because of the way schools today are built, mainly of brick and other non-flammable material, fires within the building would be a rarity, but according to NFPA.org, “In 2014–2018, U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated average of 3,230 structure fires in schools each year.”

NFPA.org also states that intentional fires, like the incident Dec 15, make up 43% of total fires on school properties and 60% of civilian injuries.

To learn more about fire safety in schools visit: education.pa.gov!

View Comments (1)