Poll

Would you rather live 100 years in the past or 100 years in the future?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Stroudsburg High Schools promotional Flyer for the King of Hearts dance.
SENIORS! Prepare for King of Hearts and senior superlative voting
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • January 26, 2024

As the King of Heart's Dance draws near, take a look at the senior superlative and prepare to vote for your KOH nominees on Monday during homeroom! The...

Continue Reading
If you need tutoring, please join the Google Classroom so we can match you up with someone to help you. (Logo credit: NHS)
NHS Peer Tutoring
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • November 20, 2023

If you need tutoring, please join the Google Classroom so we can match you up with someone to help you. Please fill out the Google Form on Google...

Continue Reading
Poetry Out Loud Contest gives out a prize of $20,000 to the winner! (Logo credit: Poetry Out Loud)
Poetry Out Loud Contest
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • November 16, 2023

Check out Poetry Out Loud, see Ms. Griswold, room C125 to get more information.

Continue Reading
Denzel Key, 12, at the free throw line during Stroudsburgs 58-41 win over Dieruff on December 22nd, 2023. 
Photo taken by Danielle Ramstine.
Stroudsburg one win away from State Tournament
Jaden Harper, Staff Writer • February 29, 2024

Stroudsburg fell to Parkland High School, 50-38, in the District 11 semifinals Wednesday night at William Allen High School in Allentown, PA. Micaiah 'Meeks' Brown, 12,...

Continue Reading
Anna Kirby poses for a picture after beating her second record of the season.
Anna Kirby breaks a second school record for the season
Georgie English, Staff writer • February 27, 2024

Then, just last week, Kirby broke another record at The Last Chance swim meet on Saturday, Feb. 17, "Kirby break school record".  Kirby set the record for...

Continue Reading
Jacob Bajek, 11, takes on competitors at EPC competition on February 8th, 2024.
Chess team rallies at 2024 EPC Competition
Jaden Harper, Staff Writer • February 26, 2024

The Stroudsburg chess team sent its varsity roster to the Chess Eastern Pennslyvania Conference (EPC) competition on Thursday, Feb. 8. The team's varsity roster consists of...

Continue Reading
View All

How Legally Blonde paved the way for Barbie

Tristan Timones
Posed photo of Isabella Rivera, 9, holding a DVD of Legally Blonde.

Many years before 2023’s smash hit Barbie, there was a different blonde dressed in pink who dominated the screen.
Legally Blonde is a comedy romance movie that premiered on July 13, 2001 in the North America region. In the opening week, the movie had a gross of $20 million.
In North America the movie made $96.5 million and worldwide the movie made $141.7 million.
The main protagonist, Elle Woods, played by the incomparable Reese Witherspoon, is a fashion student at Stanford University. Her boyfriend at the time, Emmett Richmond, got accepted into Harvard Law school and thought it would be best for them to have some time apart.
Elle got upset so to prove that they were meant to be together, she applied to Harvard Law and got in.
This movie is very powerful in the sense that Elle Woods was an icon for women two decades before Barbie because she was a powerhouse while still keeping her femininity. She showed women that you can still be powerful while still being beautiful which is why I think this movie is really special; not only for the Law community but for women as well.
This movie became a power movement in today’s society. The film shattered the idea that women should be confined to certain professions or lifestyles, and instead encouraged them to pursue their passions without fear of judgment or criticism from others.
Elle Woods is constantly underestimated because she was seen as a “ditzy blonde” who cared only about makeup, shoes and hair products.
Underneath, she was a powerhouse woman with a mind as sharp as a tac and the determination of a fierce tiger.
This movie is important because it challenges viewers to consider where real empowerment comes from. It explores themes about equality and gender politics decades before the aforementioned Barbie.
In some ways, Elle Woods paved the way for many female heroines to follow.
The film became such a success that it became a Broadway play many years later. Even in 2023, it is still remembered by many as an iconic representation of strong women.
The movie had inspired many young females around the world, including myself.
It impacted my life by inspiring me to potentially go into law and going to Harvard law school. I would consider myself just like Elle Woods in relating to herself and not giving up even when life gets hard to go through day to day.
I would recommend this movie if you’re interested in law, female empowerment or just feminism in gender.
Just like Professor Stromwell once said “If you’re going to let one stupid prick ruin your life… you’re not the girl I thought you were.”