Poll

Would you rather live 100 years in the past or 100 years in the future?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Stroudsburg High Schools promotional Flyer for the King of Hearts dance.
SENIORS! Prepare for King of Hearts and senior superlative voting
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • January 26, 2024

As the King of Heart's Dance draws near, take a look at the senior superlative and prepare to vote for your KOH nominees on Monday during homeroom! The...

Continue Reading
If you need tutoring, please join the Google Classroom so we can match you up with someone to help you. (Logo credit: NHS)
NHS Peer Tutoring
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • November 20, 2023

If you need tutoring, please join the Google Classroom so we can match you up with someone to help you. Please fill out the Google Form on Google...

Continue Reading
Poetry Out Loud Contest gives out a prize of $20,000 to the winner! (Logo credit: Poetry Out Loud)
Poetry Out Loud Contest
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • November 16, 2023

Check out Poetry Out Loud, see Ms. Griswold, room C125 to get more information.

Continue Reading
Denzel Key, 12, at the free throw line during Stroudsburgs 58-41 win over Dieruff on December 22nd, 2023. 
Photo taken by Danielle Ramstine.
Stroudsburg one win away from State Tournament
Jaden Harper, Staff Writer • February 29, 2024

Stroudsburg fell to Parkland High School, 50-38, in the District 11 semifinals Wednesday night at William Allen High School in Allentown, PA. Micaiah 'Meeks' Brown, 12,...

Continue Reading
Anna Kirby poses for a picture after beating her second record of the season.
Anna Kirby breaks a second school record for the season
Georgie English, Staff writer • February 27, 2024

Then, just last week, Kirby broke another record at The Last Chance swim meet on Saturday, Feb. 17, "Kirby break school record".  Kirby set the record for...

Continue Reading
Jacob Bajek, 11, takes on competitors at EPC competition on February 8th, 2024.
Chess team rallies at 2024 EPC Competition
Jaden Harper, Staff Writer • February 26, 2024

The Stroudsburg chess team sent its varsity roster to the Chess Eastern Pennslyvania Conference (EPC) competition on Thursday, Feb. 8. The team's varsity roster consists of...

Continue Reading
View All

“The Hunger Games: Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes” review

Lile Bekaia
Photo of Stroudsburg Junior High School student Robert Rizzieri reading The Hunger Games book.

You’re probably familiar with the “Hunger Games” franchise.

The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes (2023) was the latest piece to this. In my opinion, it was one of the best movies of the “Hunger Games” franchise. This movie is a prequel to all the other “Hunger Games” movies, a wildly popular dystopian series that started in 2012. 

In this movie, the 10th Hunger Games is taking place. The once-rich Snow family has been living in poverty due to unfortunate circumstances. Coralinus Snow has made it his goal to bring his family back to their former glory.

He and other students at his academy become mentors in the 10th game to win the Plinth Prize. This goes well until he falls in love with Lucy Grey Baird, a tribute for the game. 

He breaks many rules, risking his chance of winning if he is caught. The outcome of the 10th game and his actions will affect his future.

The dark theme and foreshadowing of this movie are what made it engaging. 

One of the many phrases repeated throughout the movie was, “I want my enemies to see a rainbow of destruction engulfing the world,” Dr. Volumnia Gaul, the first Head Gamemaker of the Hunger Games.

Lile Bekaia, 9,  noticed there was a rainbow at the end of the movie foreshadowing this quote. Rewatching the previous movies was a whole new experience, having seen Coriolanus through a new perspective. 

Katniss Everdeen is a strong female character, played by Jennifer Lawrence throughout the whole movie. From her most iconic scene when she volunteered as tribute for her younger sister, Primrose Everdeen. 

When watching The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes (2023), Everdeen and Lucy Gray are quite similar which is probably why Snow—- when he first met Everdeen. 

Both characters are seen correlating with mocking jays; which, symbolizes rebellion in the series.

Katniss and Lucy sang “The Hanging Tree” in their movies. Even though they’re the same song, Katniss sang another version as a sign of rebellion. Lucy on the other hand sang about another character; Arlo Chance, who was hanged in District 12.

The Hunger Games paved the way for many dystopian movies and books to come out during the 2010s. Some of these include Divergent (2014), A Star Wars Story (2016), The Hunt (2020), Ready Player One (2018), etc.

This movie is available to watch on Vudu, Apple TV, Amazon Prime Video, YouTube, and Google Play Movies.