Poll

What was your favorite lunch this week?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

March Madness Basketball Tournament; see class president, Eric Card.
3x3 Basketball Tournament
March 6, 2024

March Madness 3 x 3 basketball tournament on March 15, starting at 4pm.  Contact your class president, Eric Card, or class officers for more...

Continue Reading
Stroudsburg High Schools promotional Flyer for the King of Hearts dance.
SENIORS! Prepare for King of Hearts and senior superlative voting
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • January 26, 2024

As the King of Heart's Dance draws near, take a look at the senior superlative and prepare to vote for your KOH nominees on Monday during homeroom! The...

Continue Reading
If you need tutoring, please join the Google Classroom so we can match you up with someone to help you. (Logo credit: NHS)
NHS Peer Tutoring
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • November 20, 2023

If you need tutoring, please join the Google Classroom so we can match you up with someone to help you. Please fill out the Google Form on Google...

Continue Reading
Stroudsburg walking off of the field during game against Emmaus on April 8, 2024.
Baseball loses heartbreaker to Pleasant Valley
Jaden Harper, Staff Writer • April 11, 2024

On Wednesday, Stroudsburg lost to Pleasant Valley High School, 9-8. This game was scoreless until the top of the third inning, where Pleasant Valley scored three runs against...

Continue Reading
Long distance coach, Coach Foti, talking to runner Janel Meyers.
Photo credit: Amir Lovell, 10.
Stroudsburg High School Track and Field
Georgie English, Staff Writer • April 9, 2024

Stroudsburg High School Varsity Track and Field competed for their first home meet at Ross Stulgaitis Stadium against Northampton High School Konkrete Kids on Wednesday, March...

Continue Reading
L-R (siting): Dominic Negron, Terrel Butler, Keshav Persaud, Jessie Smith, Mason Ulmer, Logan Casebolt. 
L-R (standing): Asst. Coach Yost, Darius Quintana, Will Puskar, Tobias Ricks, Jason, Pritchard, Josh Marosi, Coach Tapiro.  2024 Boys Tennis Team photo, courtesy of coaches Tapiro and Yost, used with permission.
Stroudsburg Boys' Tennis Update
Jaden Harper and Madison NoonanApril 8, 2024

Led by Coach Gene Tapiro and Assistant Coach Ceal Yost, the 2024 boys' tennis team is off to a strong start. The 2023 team graduated several varsity players but Will Puskar,...

Continue Reading
View All

Celebrating the rare occurrence of February 29th

Jason+Pritchard%2C+10%2C+is+one+of+the+o.o7%25+of+people+with+a+birthday+on+February+29.+
Georgie English
Jason Pritchard, 10, is one of the o.o7% of people with a birthday on February 29.

Since 2024’s leap day is also a Thursday, let’s return to the last leap year, 2020. 

The year 2020 was an unforgettable year for everyone. It was a unique time with COVID-19 about to take over the world, the edgy Trump vs Biden presidential election, and the volatile Black Lives Matter protests throughout the year. 

Let’s look through 2020’s top news in entertainment. The best-performing song of 2020 was “Blinding Lights” by The Weeknd, and the highest-grossing movie was “Bad Boys For Life,” directed by Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah, according to The Numbers.

But what exactly qualifies as a leap year? There are specific rules for a leap year, stated by The Economic Times. “If the year is divisible by 4, it’s a leap year, except for end-of-century years, which must also be divisible by 400. For instance, the year 2000 was a leap year, while 1900 was not”. 

In 2020 Stroudsburg was promoting its outdoor ice skating rink downtown, the annual Stroudfest was held, the Snowmen of Stroudsburg were making their second appearance, and a protest march was held for the killing of George Floyd, eventually, the town and nation went into isolation in hopes of avoiding COVID-19. 

February 29th is a rare birthday. According to The Washington Post, about 5 million people have this birthday, making it a 0.07% chance of being born on a leap date. In Stroudsburg High School, only one student qualifies. 

Jason Pritchard, a sophomore at SHS, celebrates this rare birthday. Born on February 29, 2008, he has technically celebrated only 4 birthdays. 

“It sucks because I don’t technically have a birthday every year, it just isn’t the same. This year is great because my parents go all out and let me do whatever I want every four years when it is my birthday!”, says Pritchard.

According to TimeandDate, you can thank Julius Caesar for this tradition as he started it over 2000 years ago. Start planning for the next Leap Day in 2028.

View Comments (1)