Poll

This poll has ended.

Are you excited for the end of the year?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

March Madness Basketball Tournament; see class president, Eric Card.
3x3 Basketball Tournament
March 6, 2024

March Madness 3 x 3 basketball tournament on March 15, starting at 4pm.  Contact your class president, Eric Card, or class officers for more...

Continue Reading
Stroudsburg High Schools promotional Flyer for the King of Hearts dance.
SENIORS! Prepare for King of Hearts and senior superlative voting
Madelyn Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • January 26, 2024

As the King of Heart's Dance draws near, take a look at the senior superlative and prepare to vote for your KOH nominees on Monday during homeroom! The...

Continue Reading
If you need tutoring, please join the Google Classroom so we can match you up with someone to help you. (Logo credit: NHS)
NHS Peer Tutoring
Luka Konklin, Editor-In-Chief • November 20, 2023

If you need tutoring, please join the Google Classroom so we can match you up with someone to help you. Please fill out the Google Form on Google...

Continue Reading
Hannah Helm, far right, second row, celebrates senior night with her teammates.  Photo courtesy of Stroudsburg High School Softball Facebook page.
Softball rounds out the season on a winning streak
Jaden Harper, Staff Writer • May 31, 2024

On Monday, May 6, Stroudsburg Softball won their ninth straight game as they defeated Pocono Mountain West, 17-0. It tallied as their 15th victory of the season and another...

Continue Reading
Stroudsburg celebrating during game against East Stroudsburg South
Baseball prepares for District 11 6A playoffs
Jaden Harper, Staff Writer • May 21, 2024

On Wednesday, May 8, Stroudsburg Baseball clinched a playoff berth in their 9-2 victory over Pocono Mountain West. It marked the team's 6th consecutive victory after beginning...

Continue Reading
Girls Varsity Basketball, 2023
How does an athlete balance academic demands with sports?
Morgan Tucker, Staff Writer • May 9, 2024

Ella Henritzy, 12, has been a standout athlete this year. Henritzy turned heads on the basketball court as a power forward. Now, she is stacking points for track and field...

Continue Reading
View All

Stroudsburg community loses a legacy

Sean Richmond memorial set for Friday evening
Jeff Marocchi
Sean Richmond, March 12, 1986 – May 11, 2024. Photographer: Jeff Marocchi

Stroudsburg High School and its surrounding community are reeling from the sudden passing of athletic director Sean Richmond. Richmond, 38 years old, was the foundation and heart of the athletic department.  The Stroudsburg Area School District’s social media pages are flooded with messages about his dedication to the athletic programs, the community, the athletes, and the well-being of our students. The one repeated message that continually surfaces is that Richmond “believed in the kids, the program, and the community” and he served to make them the best in the county. The Mountie Nation is in shock from parents to booster club members, colleagues, and predominantly, his wrestling team. Condolences from his Easton alma mater, the University of Pittsburgh alumni, and Monroe County family, friends, and residents have been pouring into local media and district offices.

Richmond died unexpectedly on Saturday evening, May 11 as he was en route to attend and chaperone the SHS senior prom at Kalahari Resorts when the accident happened.  An investigation continues in hopes of finding out how this tragedy occurred.  One factor remains clear; it’s a devastating loss for all. In a matter of days, the shocking news spread throughout Pennsylvania and now throughout the nation as we collectively mourn for him and his family.

Richmond, a proud Red Rover,  was a 2004 graduate of Easton Area High School where he left a legacy as a champion wrestler. He then graduated from the University of Pittsburgh but not before leaving another impressive wrestling footprint.  Richmond quickly stepped up to serve as an assistant wrestling coach at his high school alma mater and later at Delaware Valley before coming to Stroudsburg.

Although Richmond had a chance to return to Easton as head coach, he turned down the offer to remain committed to building a winning Stroudsburg wrestling team- which he did. His loyalty and commitment, among other qualities, is why Sean Richmond will be missed by so many.

His love of the sport, mentoring of athletes, and commitment to the district and community were unmatched. He served an unprecedented dual role as wrestling coach and athletic director simultaneously, and he did so earnestly with his infamous quirky smile.  In December, Coach Richmond celebrated his 100th win and just last month, he was honored by his team at the SHS wrestling banquet celebration.

In a short time, Sean Richmond wove himself deeply into the tapestry of this district making it stronger and more vibrant.  It was just 2017  when he was hired as a history teacher, yet he quickly became an integral part of the Mountie Nation when he began coaching and mentoring students and athletes.

In 2018, he traded his classroom for an office when he took over as athletic director. Though, anyone who knew him would tell you, he could rarely be found there. Richmond was omnipresent–he had a remarkable talent for being everywhere he needed to be, but none more important than with his wife and children. His wife and daughters were often on the sidelines sporting Mountie pride.

Richmond’s legacy will continue through Krista, his wife of seven years, and his two daughters, Elenna and CapriRichmond was a proud father and husband; he took great joy in being a family man.

Because of the overwhelming response, the Richmond family has planned a memorial for friends and the community for Friday evening from 5-8 pm and Saturday morning from 9-11:30 am in the Stroudsburg gymnasium.  A private service for family members will be held separately.

A GoFundMe page has been set up by Courtney Millen, a close friend of the Richmond family, donations can be made here:  GoFundMe page to help support Krista and the children in this difficult transition.