Teacher feature on Ms. Yonki

Photo+of+Ms.+Yonki+and+her+family.+

Photo via Ms. Yonki

Photo of Ms. Yonki and her family.

Kevin Clark, Staff Writer

At which school in the district do you teach? 

I teach at Stroudsburg High School.

What subject(s) do you teach? 

I teach mathematics – currently this year I am teaching Algbera 2 Honors, Discrete Math, and Trig.

What grade (s) do you teach?

I teach 10th through 12th.

How long have you been teaching in the Stroudsburg Area School District?

I have been teaching here for 15 years. I was hired the summer after I graduated from ESU. My Babci (it’s Polish for grandma) actually saw the advertisement for the open position and recognized ‘Stroudsburg’ since I went to college nearby. I applied, interviewed, and was hired! She has since passed on, but I have Babci to thank for helping me get my job!

Why do you enjoy teaching?

I enjoy teaching because I enjoy the eye-opening experience when a student finally “gets math”. I know that not everyone has had good experiences with math in the past, and I always hope to change that. I have some thank-you notes that various students wrote over the years hanging on my bulletin board. They help remind me that I made a difference in someone’s life.  I might not be able to bring everyone over to the math-loving side, but even if it’s only a few – it was worth it! I also enjoy seeing the students every day – teaching students remotely is just not the same. I miss my students being in the classroom! I enjoy the banter, jokes, and smiles that students come to class with. Even if I pretend they annoy me sometimes — I’m talking to you, Kevin Clark! I enjoy teaching because I enjoy helping people. 

Where did you grow up?

I grew up and still live in the Wyoming Valley area — between Scranton and Wilkes-Barre. I went to a local Catholic school from grades K to 8 and then to public high school at Pittston Area.  While at Pittston Area I was a cheerleader, played softball, participated in Key Club and a club called Stand Tall which motivated underage students to avoid drugs and alcohol. I had a huge amount of school spirit in high school and some of that translated to Stroudsburg when I began working here. I love Stroudsburg and it definitely feels like a second home. I currently live with my husband (Chris) and two boys, Brayden (9) and Connor (5). I’m a hardcore baseball mom and love to go to all their games. The boys will both go to Pittston Area so my love of red, white and blue can continue!

What college did you attend?

I went to ESU for undergrad and I have a Master’s from Wilkes University. I always encourage students to go to ESU because I enjoyed my time there so much. But I understand that its close proximity to Stroudsburg sometimes deters students from applying — which is why I didn’t go close to home either! I think that ESU has a great education program, nursing program, and athletic training program, so if there are any students interested in any of those fields, look into ESU!